How People Change

Adira's POV

It's been five years since Death adopted me, and it's been the best years of my life. We never stayed in one place very long, always travelling the world and never looking back. we've been to almost every country no matter how obscure it was we went and father (Death) would get me books of all the native magics. Personally my favorite I've come across is the tribal rune magics. Such as the African tribes put runes into there skin sometimes with ink others are branded on to boost strength, speed, stamina, and plenty of other uses. 

Father wouldn't let me get any until i turned ten. My birthday is tomorrow and i'm trying to figure out which tattoo i want to get as my first. There are some other magics like blood magics that carve rune patterns that last until death but the tattoos need to maintained every year. But blood magic is more difficult and I will need to wait until i'm at least eleven when my magic is more stable. I learned that's why witches and wizards get the Hogwarts letters at eleven as well as wands. Your magic needs to become more stable before you get a personal wand and start learning and performing magic. 

The tattoo I am leaning towards is the insight rune that makes my brain power increase at least by twice it was and will help me learn magics and really anything easier. It will also make my eye sight sharper and give me a photographic memory. Although i already built a mind space that has all of the magics and anything i thought important sorted in it for easy access. But it will also help with reaction time during a fight. The rune will be inked onto my entire face and down my neck but mostly concentrated around my eyes with my blood and a special ink that I will have to make similar to a potion because of the magical ingredients in it. 

Some things i found out about my self were that i could change my eyes from the now natural red back to the sparkling emerald eyes i used to have

Some things i found out about my self were that i could change my eyes from the now natural red back to the sparkling emerald eyes i used to have. As i grew i also found my ears started to elongate and taper into points like an elves. So i use a charmed cuffed earring to make them look human again. It helps with blending in. 

I also usually use a charm i found on our journey to turn my hair black. Snow white hair that is braided down to just below the hips tends to attract attention so I turn it black instead. Although with intense emotions everything reverts back, to my now original form.

Father thinks with my pointed ears and sharp features that i might have gotten a dorment creature inheritance from Rowena. He says he doesn't know what the creature is but i'm confident he's lying. 

Even with all my research I haven't found a definitive answer. But most likely a little bit of elf or fae. Which just so happens i wont know until my magic matures on my eleventh birthday. Sometimes being Deaths and Rowena's daughter is exhausting.

Well there are some perks. One of my favorite things to do since becoming Deaths daughter is using my 'reaper face'. If i concentrate a bit i can make my face into that of a skeletons shrouded in a shadowed mist. The reactions on peoples faces is priceless. (no slit pupils though.)

________________________________________________________________________________

Right now we just got back to the one place I've been dreading coming back to with my entire being. England. I know why were here but it doesn't make it easier. 

Walking up to my father with my book on the tribal runes and tattoos open to the insight rune. Runes are usually symbols of power but in some cases like this its more of an honorary rune. I place the open on his lap thoroughly interrupting his own reading. 

"Father can i get this rune please. I can make it myself and we already have all the ingredients and tools in the workroom." I pleaded giving my best puppy dog eyes i could muster. 

First, with a loud huph he looks down from his own book to the open page to give it a thorough once over. After confirming that it was simple enough (for me) and i wouldn't end up killing myself he looked giving me a firm nod. I should also mention he has a disguise as well. He is extremely pale, with onyx eyes and shoulder length charcoal black hair. He's roughly 6'2 and is usually wearing an all black suit. 

With a light squeal and a couple excited jumps i scooped the book from his lap and skipped to the workroom to begin my first rune.

________________________________________________________________________________

It took me the better part of three days and two failures until i finally perfected the ink. Let me tell you, Sphinx tears and Athenian owls feathers (believed to be the descendants of Athena's owl) are extremely hard to mix correctly. Third times the charm though and i finally got it to settle with the kraken ink. Not to mention when i added my blood. I thought i would be taking a short vacation to fathers realm. 

Now comes the hardest part though. The inking itself. My magic isn't completely stable yet so if i so much as loose a sliver of control when i levitate the needle to ink the rune on it could blow my head off. Very inconvenient if you ask me. 

Sitting myself down on my tattooing chair i begged father to buy for me i remove my shirt for when i need to ink the vein like part that will run down my neck onto my chest and shoulders. Taking one final deep breath, i reach out with my magic to grab the spelled needle and begin the excruciating process of puncturing myself over and over countless times. 

The excruciating pain of the foreign magic of the ink being forcefully combined with my own is almost mind shattering. I've heard of how the cruciatus curse affects a persons body but this is like crucating my very magic. I never knew your magic being combined with another's would hurt this bad.

Three hours later I passed out into the sweet relief of unconsciousness as my magic finally settles. With my last remaining thoughts i wondered what people will think of the new/true me when i show up in a year.

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: i hope you liked this chapter. i tried writing it a bit cleaner then the last but i don't know how much better i did. i hope you guys will give me some input on some ideas that can make this story as well as my writing better. 

The next chapter will take me a bit longer to write but i got some good ideas (at least i think they are) planned.