69

JARROD

The holding cell smelled like rotten shit. I sat on the cement bench with my feet on the floor and my elbows on my knees.

Since I'd been put back here a few hours ago, I was left to ponder what was taking place elsewhere.

Had they told Leah yet? Was she surprised?

I wanted her to come visit me. If only to rub this in my face, I wanted to see her again. I couldn't yet tell what my motivations for that were.

A more bleak amount of time passed before I got up and began pacing. The bench was making my ass go numb. That and the drunkard in the cell over kept kicking the fucking wall and singing some woman's name.

I had just managed to start ignoring the inconsiderate ass to begin devising my plan again when the door to the cell area opened. Spinning around, I looked up with hopeful eyes. The Captain who'd interrogated and arrested me approached. There was a familiar cool distance in her eyes that I'd often seen in my own. She hated me even though she didn't know me. But, this was her job so she wasn't going to be too obvious about. I felt a pinch in my chest at realizing I sometimes felt that way about patients, judging them before understanding them.

I suddenly realized how my patients felt. Frightened and uncertain. Would I even be able to continue practicing medicine after this? Who was I kidding? If Leah won this trial, I would be exiled from the medical community permanently. Her lawyer was going to do everything in their power to make me look like some sick pervert who kidnaps his patients.

"Your brother is here," the Captain told me. "He didn't bring a lawyer."

Sighing, I nodded. "My lawyer couldn't be here yet, but he arrives tomorrow morning. Can I talk with my the brother?"

She nodded reluctantly and then gestured at the ceiling. My gaze followed hers to where a camera buried in the ceiling was aimed down at me. I gulped. Within seconds, the hall door opened again and James was escorted through by a jail guard. He noticed the Captain first before looking at me. I felt my mouth go dry at the stormy expression on his face. I had caused a shit storm and James was not going to take it lightly. As always, he looked perfectly put together in pressed jeans and collared shirt.

"You have five minutes," the Captain said. She and the guard stepped back through the hall door.

As soon as the door closed, James launched into his castigation.

"What the fuck were you thinking?" he yelled, leaning towards my cell with clenched fists.

The drunkard next door started moaning.

James carried on as if he couldn't hear the bastard. "How did this happen? I even told you what to fucking say! You must just be dying to fuck up all of our lives with this goddamn irresponsible stunt!"

"I told them that she assaulted me," I said flatly. "They said they I changed my story."

"BETTY!" bellowed the drunk.

My brother shot a terse look in the direction of his cell. "Shut the hell up, would you?"

His razored tone at least worked to quiet my jail mate and a quietness fell over the hallway.