40

LEAH

The week passed in what could only be ultrasonic speed.

I worked late every single day and the real highlight was disciplining a few of the bank employees for catty behavior.

I had a sneaking suspicion there might be something stirring with the bankers. They could be so petty sometimes. I wouldn't mind, except their childish antics added more paperwork and tasks to the chaos of my normal work week.

By the time I clocked out on Friday, all I wanted was to down a glass or two of rum while bingeing Netflix. I thought about messaging Jarrod but we hadn't talked as much this week and I didn't want to be a bother.

We had enjoyed a really lovely Tuesday morning together but something still unsettled me about him. I had texted Anne back but all she'd said was that she'd be in the area soon if I wanted to hang out.

I didn't really want to hang out with her, given how our friendship had ended and the things she'd accused me of doing. She could see I opened her message, though, so not responding would just be rude.

Just as I tied my kimono on and pulled up Netflix, my phone dinged with a text from Isabelle.

ISABELLE: haven't seen u in a hot minute

I almost rolled my eyes.

Since that fateful night at the bar a few weekends ago, Isabelle and I had been in a little hiatus. Unspoken, of course.

I was still a little pissed that she'd been such a bitch about Adam. She let me know the next morning that she was alive but I hated that she had been so stubborn without even a good reason.

Bygones be bygones, I thought annoyedly.

Besides, I missed her. We didn't usually go so long without hanging but Jarrod had been preoccupying me lately.

LEAH: Sorry, been working a lot. What's up?

ISABELLE: well its time u get ur ass over to me so we can get drunk and make fun of Ryan😜

It seemed she was well over what happened last time. I sighed.

I was hella tired. I didn't feel like getting into any fights with anyone tonight.

But I also knew that if I saw my best friends raging together on socials without me, I'd get FOMO and be miserable regardless.

LEAH: what u got in mind??

ISABELLE: Ryan and his new play thing want to go sing karaoke tonite

ISABELLE: we can tag along get wasted and sing livin on a prayer again

Chuckling, I shook my head.

She was referring to one Saturday a few months ago when Ryan talked us into singing karaoke while completely blitzed. It had been one of the few occasions Danny went out with my friends and, of course, I made the biggest fool of myself. He said it was funny but I could never get over how he'd laughed at me with Isabelle.