16

LEAH

You belong to me.

Just the thought of belonging to Jarrod set off a chain of fireworks in my stomach.

This conversation did not go how I thought it would I the least. If anything, I kind of expected Jarrod to be done with me.

Cradling the mug between my palms, I took a long sip from the lukewarm latte. The bolt of caffeine did nothing to settle the agitated butterflies in my stomach.

I wanted to look up into Jarrod's beautiful bronze eyes but they intimated me. They showed his emotions rather plainly, whether it be pleasure or disapproval.

"Does that scare you?" Jarrod asked.

I chewed on the inside of my cheek as I nodded.

"Use your words, baby," he said again.

My gaze automatically flicked up to his. His eyes were even more intense than I expected, but they weren't hard with impatience or anger. They seemed gentle, actually.

A gust of air pushed out of my lungs.

"Yeah," I said. "It scares me a little."

He pushed his coffee away. "Why don't we take a walk? I think fresh air would be good for both of us."

"I think that's a great idea." I eagerly slid out of the booth. Being outside meant I wouldn't have to endure his passionate gaze. It would be good for me to get some walking in anyway, since I hadn't been to the gym all weekend.

We placed our mugs in the dirty ware container and headed outside. I snuck a wonderful look at Jarrod's backside as he pushed the door open.

He had a truly spectacular ass and his muscular legs were emphasized by his dark jeans. Just before he turned to face me, my eyes swept the expanse of his rippling shoulders, snug inside his pressed button-up and vest. His looks would put an Abercrombie model to shame.

"See something you like, Miss Harris?"

Ducking my flaming face, I scurried out after Jarrod. This man had an eagle eye. I couldn't even get away with a single innocent gawk.

He wrapped an arm around my waist, his throaty chuckle reverberating through me. His body felt warm and firm around mine.

As we started down the sidewalk, I leaned into him to escape the bitter wind poking through my sweater. This was the fourth top I tried on before I ran out of time.

None of my winter clothes fit me like they did last year and it was an unpleasant reminder of what a rough year this had been. I made a mental note to visit the gym later.

"Leah?"

"Hmm?"

"I asked if you were looking forward to Christmas?" he said, brows drawn together.

"As much as everyone else," I said with a shrug. "I like the festive spirit and decorations as much as the next person.

He nodded thoughtfully. "Do you usually celebrate with your family?"

"Every year." I smiled. "What about you?"

"We haven't gotten together for Christmas in a few years," he said, shrugging. "I guess since James and I were both in undergrad.

"I'm sure it's hard with your schedule, too. Hospitals never close, right?" I joked a little.

"Yeah, that's true." He chuckled. "Any weird holiday traditions?"