14

LEAH

"I'm gonna make that bastard wish he stepped on legos," Isabelle snarled.

I reached for my phone for the fourth time but she was much taller than me and kept holding it over her head.

"Give it back!" I whined. "Iz, come on! Jarrod didn't do anything wrong!"

"Then why are you crying?" she demanded. "And why didn't I know about this Jarrod man?"

I groaned. "You do know about him. He's the hot doctor I mentioned. Now, give it back so I can call him. He's going to think I'm an even bigger bitch than he already does."

She swatted at me, grumbling, "You are the least bitchy person I know. Did he call you a bitch? 'Cause I'm already ready to beat his ass."

"Fuck me," I muttered, rolling my eyes.

"Careful what you wish for, blondie," murmured a masculine voice in my ear.

I spun around, tensing. Adam smirked at me.

The spray holding up his spikes was starting to wear off and they were drooping to both sides. I hadn't been all that obsessed with Adam before, but he looked more like a melting Ken doll than a hot punk.

After my conversation with Jarrod, the last thing I wanted was to flirt with this guy.

I cringed at his comment as he pressed closely to my back.

What did this man even want from me? I went years without having random men hitting on me and now they seemed to be everywhere.

It wasn't like I lost a bunch of weight or got a boob job either.

"Are you almost ready to go?" I asked Isabelle.

She was eyeing Adam like a snack. "Leave? The party just started!"

"Lady's got a point," Adam said, too close to my ear for comfort. His warm breath tickled my ear. "We just finished our last song and I am a free bird now."

Then go fly away, I thought.

"Two more rounds!" Isabelle gave me her puppy eyes. "Pwease?"

"You're not going to be able to walk if you have two more!"

"Uh huh! I'm a reasonable adult, Leah. I can handle two more."

I pressed a hand to my face. This night would not have a happy ending, I could just feel it.

Adam pulled my curls back from my face, trailing just hand along my neck. My body shivered in response but not necessarily in a good way.

"We can accomplish a lot in two rounds, you know," he told me.

Grimacing, I shuffled forward to get closer to Isabelle.

I leaned up and whispered in her ear, "Save me from this creep!"

She gave me a puzzled look. "He's hot though!"

"To you! I promised Jarrod I wouldn't accept drinks from guys."

"Eww," she replied with a rotten face. "Why would you promise him that? He's not even your boyfriend. He sounds like an asshole to me. Just a Danny 2.0."

Her words struck me directly in the heart. At first, I wondered if she was right. Jarrod had demanded a lot of me considering all we'd done was have medical appointments and sex.

Why was he so controlling?

Then I remembered that the reason we met in the first place was because I'd been drinking and doing things I shouldn't have been. Of course, he was worried about me.