Chapter 23

---Thorn's POV---

To say I was nervous would be a gross understatement, as I felt my legs, even my wings tremble softly. Father had yet to release the woman in his arms, both her arms around his neck to press him closer as he held the back of her head in the palm of his hand.

Gentle, tenderly, as if he was terrified that she'd evaporate in his arms. And even from here, I could see the way her hands curled into fists, how they trembled and shook as their faces were buried in each other's throats.

I could almost feel the anguish they've been through and clearly, so could God. The deity looked at them with a sad smile in his face, a smile that quickly turned in a swift glare when one of the other angels dared to roll his eyes at the reunion.

The angel stiffened and paled, quickly averting his eyes from the pair as soon as he sensed God's stare and almost seemed to pout at being scolded. I shook my head with a soft scoff before glancing back at my parents.

A smile slipped on my face as I caught Dad scrubbing over his eyes, unwilling to let Mom go just yet. Arms looped around my waist, careful of my wings before I was pressed against Bidziil's chest. I bumped him with my hip, smiling teasingly as he pecked my cheek, thumbs rubbing over my hipbone reassuringly.

He probably guessed how my heart was stuttering in my chest, as this reunion was bittersweet for me. My fate was a mystery if mother had opted to keep me with her. Perhaps I would've been just like these condescending pigeons, puffing their feathers at one another, arguing without actually putting any solution forth for the issue.

More likely they would've ended my existence, seeing how far they went to break up mother and father. In their eyes, I was an abomination so they wouldn't think twice of sending me to the afterlife, even if I were a small babe.

She did what needed to be done, but it was a bitter pill to swallow. If she hadn't left me on Earth, so many things wouldn't have happened; I wouldn't even be here in the first place.

Still, to remember all the hardships and pain I went through, the abuse and near-death encounters... Was it worth it?

The arms around my hips tightened and I smirked, leaning further into Bidziil as I mentally nodded to myself. Yes, it definitely was worth every horrific second on Earth. It had been a brutal and painful life, filled with unspoken horrors and hardships, but it shaped me in the man I was today.

And to be honest, I was quite proud of myself. Without having true parental guidance, I do believe I shaped up to a decent being. In a world as harsh as the Earth, I had turned out pretty alright.

A smirk slid on my lips when Bidziil pawed at my hip, pulling me closer against him. I tilted my head back, not even surprised when his lips were already waiting to claim mine in a reassuring kiss.

Seems like someone else agrees that I'm just fine.

Bidziil smirked, most likely reacting to the teasing glint in my eyes before we looked back at my parents. They were still in one another's embrace, holding tightly though now they were simply staring at one another, communicating without words.

Dad cupped her cheek, as if he was holding the most rare and valuable item in his existence. In a way, he was right though. She was the reason for his entire being and he hadn't been complete when she was missing. But now that she had been returned to him, I knew both of them would be happier and stronger than ever.

Blue eyes opened, gleaming with tears yet they shone with joy and love. I felt a chill race down my spine as they locked on me, a tender and hopeful smile curling my mother's lips. My knees clicked together as she slowly, tenderly pushed dad back a small amount, still staring at me.