Chapter 5

---Bidziil's POV---

I watched Thorn from a distance while Karma eyed him curiously from her position against Lyra. My eyes slid to the kid as my hellhound rubbed her head against her stomach, almost pushing the kid to the side in her attempt to get some attention. A low sound formed in the back of my throat, making her look up at me with her fiery red eyes before she relented.

Meanwhile Thorn was looking at the small babe wedged between the paws of Cain's hellhound. He was a good friend of mine, who had asked me to breed Karma and Kieran together, since he wanted another pup. Though they were both fierce predators known throughout the world, they had incredible maternal instincts.

So getting the babe from between Kieran's protective paws would be a rather impossible and possibly dangerous task because with hellhounds, both the males and females cared for their offspring. Karma might be the more dangerous one but judging on pure muscle power, Kieran could pack quite a punch, or rather bite.

Thorn obviously didn't know all this as he tilted his head slightly, as if calculating the chances of getting the baby out unscathed. A slow smiled slipped on my lips as he made his way over Kieran, who tilted his massive black head towards Thorn and huffed, exhaling a small strand of smoke.

It was a sign to be cautious and my eyes flashed back at Thorn, before I said, "Easy there. Kieran's protecting the babe and he might think of you as a threat." Thorn stopped and turned his head, his black eyes narrowing at me while I smiled.

He reminded me very much of a stray cat you'd come across on the street. A smirk spread out on my lips while I watched Thorn closely before nodding to myself. Yes, Thorn definitely had the same attitude as a feline, judging by the way he stalked closer to Kieran, even after I warned him.

Ashkii stepped up behind me and twirled a piece of his hair between his fingers, staring at the black strands before he looked at Thorn and shook his head. "I thought I was rocking black, but then I saw him..." his muttering became too silent before he closed his eyes.

I watched as the black at his skull was exchanged for blonde, rushing down until my brother opened his eyes again, checking the color. "This is better, right?" he asked, his voice slightly insecure before he grinned as I nodded, beaming happily towards me before he looked back at the show in front of us.

Both of us watched and stared in awe as Thorn simply stepped up towards Kieran, who by now was growling warningly with an open mouth, revealing the smoldering back of his throat. He couldn't breath fire like dragons and drakes could but if he bit down, you were likely to have burns next to your puncture wounds.

When a particular sharp snarl erupted from Kieran's chest, his tail swishing through the air while his fur started to bristle, I pushed myself off the wall and walked to them both, in the intent to stop Thorn from getting mauled.

Instead, I was rather surprised when Thorn reached out for the baby, gaining a low snarl from Kieran as he opened his jaws to bite down. Thorn simply looked at the hellhound and then, something weird happened.

A low thump whooshed through the air before we all heard whispers seemingly coming from nowhere. I tried to understand what they were saying, but even with me being a Precursor, I had a hard time to understand the soft voices.

It had an odd effect on Kieran though; the hound instantly calmed down and flattened his ears, recognizing Thorn as his superior before he nudged the babe awake with his nose.

"Hey buddy. Noah..." Thorn whispered as the baby whimpered, fluttering with his eyes before he was safely in Thorn's hands. He turned around and seemed rather shocked that I was standing behind him but both of us were rather distracted with the blue light slowly appearing in between us.