Chapter 8

---Thorn's POV---

I shot up from the bed when a pained scream echoed through my ear. It buzzed painfully but that didn't matter, nor the lightheaded feeling that threatened to pull me down but right now, all my attention was pulled to Blake as he was biting his lips to stop himself from screaming again.

Bidziil was already hovering over the twisting boy but he glanced at me briefly before focusing back on Blake, who was jerking under his hold. "Calm down Thorn, he's changing but I don't want him to wound himself or anyone else here."

Oh. Blinking the sleep away, I noticed why Bidziil felt he needed to reassure me; even though I hadn't thought about them, the entities were lingering just at the corner of the hallway, flickering with each pained grunt coming from Blake's lips.

I stumbled on my legs when Bidziil slid his arms underneath Blake and pulled him up, walking out the room with me hot on his heels. "Where's Lyra?" I asked when I didn't see her anywhere, feeling my heart starting to race in my chest as fear dug its claws in my heart.

Bidziil shouldered his way past the door before adjusting his hold when Blake growled and jerked his arm away from the touch. "She's fine, mom's looking after her since she woke up several times tonight."

Right, they both were shifting...I sighed and brushed my hand over my face as I followed Bidziil, feeling incredibly useless and weak. Not to mention that I felt like there was something I was forgetting, some form of knowledge resting just out of reach.

A snarl shook me from my musing, just to see black fur sprouting from Blake's shoulders, his hair growing longer while he growled, spun and twisted in Bidziil's hold. My eyes shot up to the sky, where I noticed a small speck circling above us; somehow I just knew that was Alduin.

"Thorn, you better step back and let him connect to his wolf. He won't know who he is nor who we are." Bidziil stated softly, the warning tone underlining the way he eyed me closely, as if daring me to protest.

I simply shivered and sat down on the floor, feeling a shakiness in my limbs that had nothing to do with the sharp nip in the air. My blue eyes were fixed on Blake's shifting golden ones, who stared back at me while his bones snapped and shifted. He whined and that sound was what made me snap.

Before Bidziil could stop me or even shout out a warning, I had crossed the clearing and was now sitting with Blake's furry head on my lap, brushing my fingers soothingly through his fur.

"Thorn!" I looked up to meet Bidziil's fiery eyes bur felt calm and collected, knowing his temper might snap if I said anything wrong. "I need to be here, don't ask me why, I just know. I'm perfectly safe."

But how? How do I know this for sure? I know it as surely as I know I need air to breath... I shook my head to get rid of these confusing thoughts because I'll probably never find out why I am this way. I don't even know what I am anymore.

Did I ever know what I was?

Blake's golden eyes snapped up to my face, as if he felt what I was thinking and let out another whimper. His head filled my lap completely while his body was slowly coming to rest beside me, circling all around me. A low growl rumbled through his chest when Alduin landed a fair distance away.

The dragon merely twisted his head towards Blake, causing him to flinch and slightly roll on his side, showing his smoke-grey belly. I smiled and ruffled through the fur while muttering, "You're not like those wolves on Earth Blake. They'd rip my throat out by now."

Blake whined again while I heard a growl coming from both Bidziil and Alduin but I didn't pay any attention to them. Blake was now crawling to his feet...paws. It was so strange to see the scrawny teenager, who had been fighting for his life as long as I knew him, now standing beside me as a fully-grown and powerful wolf.