Chapter 3

---Thorn’s POV---

The vampire smiled, his red eyes flashing slightly as they slowly slipped down from my face to Lyra clutching at my legs, Blake growling softly as he kept an eye on the elf behind us before he looked back up again.

Noah softly whimpered against my chest, and I instantly tensed as it drew the vampire’s attention to the newborn. The red eyes narrowed down, gazing confused at the newborn until I brought my arm up to hide Noah from view.

“Victor…” The voice that spoke behind me caused shivers over my body as it nearly sang. It was absolutely male but you couldn’t help but describe it as unbelievably beautiful. I had never met anyone of his people but I realized instantly that this man was completely dangerous, no matter how he thought of humans.

His voice alone could persuade the most cautious of creatures.

It was enough to force the vampire to take a step back, though his whole demeanor had changed from outright threatening and hostile to a more curious, almost childish aura as he pouted slightly. Blake reached for my arms and I clutched his hand tightly in mine, trying to calm him down.

“I don’t like hunting children Victor, you know of this.” The elf behind me lilted in his voice as he slowly walked around our small group until he stopped beside his partner, eying me curiously with his own blue eyes.

“Lorain-“ the vampire began to protest in an annoyed tone but instantly silenced down as the elf raised a perfect hand in the air, his index finger placed gently on the vampire’s lips while he observed me closely.

“An immortal, protecting the weak in a time like this, is mostly unusual. Even more curious is that I don’t know what this young man is…and yet, though we clearly see he’s anything but human, he defends them nonetheless.”

I frowned, narrowing my eyes at the man as I held Noah closer to my chest and kept a tight grip on Lyra when a small whimper escaped her throat. An imperceptible growl rumbled through Blake’s chest, vibrating against my shoulder as he hid Lyra from view.

The vampire, Victor, glanced at his friend before looking pointedly at Noah. “A Dhampir isn’t what I’d like to call human…” he drawled, eying Noah as he whimpered, pushing closer against my chest. “Back off.” I snarled when he stepped closer, staring down at us.

His red eyes widened slightly while Lorain flashed us a surprised smile while he reached out to stop Victor from getting any closer. “Such spirit…”Lorain murmured, smiling slightly dazed before he stepped back, looking over his shoulder as he did.

I followed his gaze, feeling my stomach clench as I stared at the distant city, where the demons were undoubtedly waiting for their chance to start their hunt again. But the elf didn’t stare directly at the city’s skyline; he was looking at the forest in the distance.

“A group of humans has been captured this night, not too far away from here. The pack of werewolves and Lycans which found them, seemed to be more than curious after one of the males said something about a hybrid.” I cursed mentally as the elf turned around, observing me with his bright blue eyes.