Chapter 65: The Ambush

Once we went through the portal, we were back at the entrance of the labyrinth.

"Alright, let's head back to the city. Once we give our reports about what happened at the Labyrinth, we'll take it easy for a little bit."

"How are we going to report this? We just fought a Trible S-Ranked monster, and we're only A-Ranked. Isn't that going to make us look a little suspicious?"

Vlad had a point. If we did report what we found, then we'll definitely find ourselves in trouble.

Luckily, I already made a deal with the Guild Master about that. He knows a little bit about our powers, so we'll be fine.

And, if things don't go as planned, we'll just erase his memories or something. For now, though, we'll have to tell them about getting to floor fourteen.

I want to keep our journey to the fifteenth floor a secret since the monster we fought was a Triple S. The monster on the fourteenth floor, however, was a double S, so that should be fine for now.

Anyway, while I was thinking up a cover story, we slowly walked back to the city. Taking a stroll was very calming, so I like walking back to the city like this.

Unfortunately, my little peaceful stroll wasn't going to happen. The reason why is a couple dozen hostiles I was detecting in the Watcona Forest.

They were even at the entrance of the forest we were about to enter.

I turned to Amy and Vlad, and they both noticed too.

[What should we do, Damien?] To keep anyone from hearing, Vlad talked to me through telepathy.

[I'm not sure. It's pretty obvious that they're after us, or I wouldn't be sensing all this malicious intent.]

[Should we go use a portal to escape, master?]

[If these guys are after us, then we'll just be on the run. For now, we pretend we don't notice anything and wait for whatever comes our way. If it gets too heated, you and Vlad bail.]

[What about you, Damien?]

[I'll hold them off until you guys are far away, then I'll catch up. No arguments about this, got it?]

[. . . Fine.] Both Vlad and Amy agreed to my terms.

I wasn't really worried about me, but Vlad was another problem. With my stats, I could handle my own pretty well, but I wasn't sure about him.

There could be some enemies that Vlad won't be able to take on, so I don't want him to get killed. So, until I know what we're dealing with, my top priority is keeping Vlad safe.

After our telepathic conversation, we then proceeded into the forest. None of the enemies that were hiding in the forest made any moves yet.

It was worrying. I'm not sure what's exactly going on, but I don't want things to get too complicated for me.

"That's far enough," Suddenly, a voice told us to stop.

We listened and stopped moving. That's when a woman with wild red hair confronted us.

She seemed to be in her late teens or early twenties. She wore similar clothes from my old world.

Brown leather jacket, combat boots and pants, and a red scarf. She also looked really good-looking too.

Okay, who the hell is she?

I decided to appraise her, but it backfired.

[Appraisal Failed]