Capítulo Treinta y Uno - Parte Uno

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Max," I wave awkwardly. Principal Crissler just gives me an uncomfortable look.

"Ariadne, this boy is going to be your tour guide for this evening. I thought you'd like to be shown around by...someone you don't know," She explains. I raise my eyebrows.

Why does it feel like she did this by purpose? Maybe she didn't want Arsen to be in Max's place. Or she could just be a really kind and generous Principal.

"That's great," I say cheerily, trying not to let my frustration show.

This is both great and not great. Am I supposed to suddenly become Max's best friend for information or take it slow?!

"Come on, we'll start with the bottom floor," He says, his voice hot.

I can't believe I admitted to that.

"Sure," I answer, giving Principal Crissler a tight smile before following Max out of the office.

I hope this doesn't end up too bad.

"So, you know Turner?" He asks immediately, turning the corner and leading me towards the lifts. My eyes widen when I hear his name.

His real name.

But instead of freaking out, I try to play dumb.

"Um, who's Turner?" I ask, not looking him in the eye.

Which was easy, since he was literally the same size as Arsen. Aka, very tall.

"Right, I meant Arsen," He says properly. I pretend to make a face of sudden recognition.

"Oh! Arsen Reed! The principal's son, right? I, uh, don't know him much, but I guess I'm familiar with him," I shrug, hoping he doesn't realize I'm lying.

Max laughs. It's a nice laugh.

I like it.

"You're hot. He usually tries to hit on hotties, so better watch out," He smirks, pressing the button to the elevator. My cheeks blush incredibly warm.

We wait for the ding while I visibly try not to glare at the elevator doors, imagining it as Arsen.

Always taking advantage of poor, innocent girls.

Once inside, the door closes and he presses the down button.

At one point, our eyes lock for a second, and I gasp.

"Oh my God, your eye, or, eyes!" I gasp, looking at the strangeness of it.

His right eye is a tremendous blue colour, almost electrifying, but his left eye is a shining hazel or green - I can't tell. It's incredible.

"I know, pretty cool, right?" He asks, grinning. I scoff, smiling back.

"Cool?! It's amazing! How'd it happen?" I ask, almost disbelieving the fact that this guy could be the one who started any anger in Arsen.

"It didn't happen, I was born with it. An eye condition called heterochromia, the term for having two different coloured eyes," He explains, expertly closing the normal eye and leaving the unusual one open, as if winking.

I step a little closer to take a better look at it, and I laugh, mesmerized.

"Wow!" I mutter, leaning back. He shakes his head.

"It's not a good thing. Some people take it too seriously, which kind of makes me the freak," He shrugs, looking away. I raise my eyebrows.

"Who would call you a freak?!" I ask, actually surprised. He turns back towards me, a grin lighting up his face.