Capítulo Cuarenta y Seis

Chapter 46

I feel tears gather in my eyes as I'm about to rush towards his open arms, but the squeal of cars stop me and we both freeze.

"Don't go near him, Xanthe."

I blink a few times as I recognize that cold voice and turn to Arsen, his body completely intact. Even his bandage is gone!

"Arsen, what are you doing?" I call, squinting my eyes through the slight drizzle that's started.

He opens his mouth to say something but I turn back to my father, seeing his eyes twinkle as he holds out his arms again. 

My breath hitches in my throat.

It's been twelve years since I last saw him. I was only seven.

Now, he's standing right in front of me. He may look slightly older and a little more...different, but he's still my father.

Then I turn again, catching Arsen's fiery amber eyes, and the dark anger in them.

"Xanthe, don't go near him." He repeats, his voice a low growl which I can still hear over the rain.

I shake my head, taking a step back towards the man I've been wanting to meet for so long.

"I missed him, Arsen, don't make me choose..." I whimper, once again meeting the eyes of my father.

I notice the crazed look, and for a shameful second, want to forget about Arsen and give my Papá a warm hug to tell him it's alright.

Then, I hear Arsen take a step forward. Out of instinct, I take another back, afraid he'll take me away from my father again. He pauses.

"Xanthe, I'm warning you. Listen to me." He growls out again. I swallow, confused.

The rain isn't making it any better since it's gotten ten times harder.

"Arsen, I can't listen to you. He's my dad, do you know how long I've waited for this moment? You're supposed to be back at the hospital, in bed," I yell, my tears mingling with the rain.

I don't know if the tears are of the fact that my lost dad is standing not ten feet away from me, or that the boy I care about has just been in an accident yet is out of his fucking bed.

"Xanthe, I'm fine. Get away from him," He commands, and I let out a sob, the thought of parting with my dear Papá again causing pain to emit through my heart.

"I can't, Arsen. He's my father. You'd do the same in my place," I cry.

Why is he stopping me?

"Xanthe, this isn't the same man who left you. He's different. He never cared for you." He says, his icy words slapping me across the face.

How can he say that? How would he even know?

"I'm sorry..." I call, taking the last few steps back and falling into the familiar arms of a man I only dreamed of meeting again.

He pulls back, his hazel-green eyes shining as he smiles, the corner wrinkling up and reminding me of the late-night cocoa and bedtime stories the three of us would have.

If only Xena were here.

"I missed you too, my Muñeca," He laughs. I pull back, something different in his tone.

"What happened, Papá, where were you all these years?" I cry, putting a gentle hand against his rain-drenched, stony face.

He just smiles sadly.