XI

"I can't believe it worked," Devon utters as we all look at Veronica's dead body on the floor.

We were able to trick her into thinking we had no idea that she would want a blood oath.
We were able to trick her into thinking Amira was on her side.

We knew all along she would want a blood oath and that will leave us incapable of hurting her but that didn't leave Amira incapable of killing her.

Killing my mates mother.

I look up at Micah to see if he's okay but he's looking anywhere but the dead body on the floor and me.

"Well," Amira starts as she gives the sword to her guard who proceeded to clean it, "It was good doing business with you but I'll like to get off no man's land now,"

"Actually, I was wondering if you would like to put the treaty into action now," Micah says to which Amira raises her eyebrows.

"In what way?"

"To get rid of the vigilantes in both our nations that are trying to kill me." He specifies and Amira smiles coyly

"Oh, so you now know of the Velaries' plans." She laughs a little, "They have some of the most powerful witches helping them and you're just two semi-powerful people, you're giving to die if you don't mate."

Micah looks down at me, we haven't mated due to not knowing how this would affect my countdown but since that's gone now, we can actually go about mating.

Mating will make us more powerful. Records have shown that when royals mate they can unlock powers they never even knew they had.

"So you're not going to help?" Jacob asks

Amira shrugs her shoulders and clicks her fingers opening a portal which would probably take her back to her kingdom.

"Call me when you've mated. Until then, you're fighting a losing battle by yourself." With that, she stepped into the portal, her guards following her and the portal closes behind them.

Devon and Jacob look at Micah and me as if waiting for the next step. When we didn't say anything, Devon sighs, "Guess you guys have to get a move on."

"It's mate or die."

+++

"Well done your majesties." Sir Alafa greets and we smile at them, Micah's a little tighter which worries me. the events that have just taken place shouldn't be taken lightly.

"We should hold a banquet to celebrate your victories." Cheryl cheered

"Let's not do that," Micah states, "We don't want the rest of the kingdom to know about this." Cheryl bowed her head in response

"It's been a long day, why don't their majesties head upstairs," Devon suggests and I nod saying thank you to both Devon and Jacob before letting Micah guide me away.

Once we were somewhere quiet I look at him and stop us in our tracks, "Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" He questions in response, he tried to carry on walking but I stopped him.

I looking into his eyes trying to gauge where his head is at, "Well maybe because we just came back from killing your mother."

"Veronica," he corrects, "Which I'm fine with. Remember, she was never a true mother to me." He tried to continue walking but I stop him once more

"So why are you so quiet?"

"We don't always have to fill the air with talk, Elise." I would be shocked at his tone but I could tell something was off.