I smiled at that. She looked so cute when her cheeks reddened.

"Do you regret having sex with me?" I asked. I was tired of beating around the bush.

Her eyes widened. "No."

As I quirked a doubting brow, Leah sighed.

"I don't regret it," she said, "but I let myself get carried away. I didn't necessarily want to have sex with you here. My brain just feels a little discombobulated lately . . . All I'm saying is, maybe we should just try to abstain until we get back to reality."

Her eyes drifted away from mine again.

Chuckling, I released her elbow. "What are you worried about, babe? I'm going to take care of you."

"Jarrod, I have a career," she said, shifting between her feet. "I'm not ready for a baby. I don't even know if I'm capable of being a mother. We have to be careful."

"So, this is about birth control," I realized.

Taking a deep breath, I stroked her damp hair with a smile. She had no idea what she was capable of.

"You will be a wonderful mother," I said. "I would be honored to have children with you. Whether that's tomorrow or five years from now."

"How can you be so confident?" she asked. Her voice shut up an octave and I noticed how emotional she was becoming. "I have terrible impulse control. If I start drinking, I don't stop until I'm passed out. And—and how about Anne? I let her beat my ass. How can I protect a baby if I can't even protect myself?"

Anne.

Blowing out a breath, I placed my hands on her shoulders and looked directly in her eyes.

"When I said I could protect you, I meant it," I growled. "I've done it before and I will do it again, without hesitation."

Leah's head tilted, her eyes narrowing. "What do you mean, you've 'done it before.'"

"I think you know what I mean."

"No, I don't, actually. I could really use some clarification right now," she uttered through gritted teeth.

Clenching my jaw, I turned away from her.

"Anyone who threatens my girlfriend is gonna get what they deserve. And it's not a happy ending. Some people have to learn that the hard way." I sighed and rolled my shoulders back. "Now, please put your clothes on."

"Jarrod," she said more forcefully, "are you saying you hurt Anne?"

"No," I mumbled. "I'm telling you not to worry about it. I handled the problem and protected you."

"The problem being Anne?"

"Yes. She could have killed you had I not intervened. I was going to let her just get away with that. She'd attack you again."

Leah pinched the bridge of her nose. "Tell me you're not saying what I think you're saying."

My gaze dropped to her face. Her lips quivered and her eyes were glassy.

"You killed her," she said numbly. "You murdered Anne?"

My glare hardened. "You don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh my God! You're not denying it!" Her hands flew to her mouth. "You killed her. Who else? Who else have you killed, Jarrod?"

"That bitch wasn't going to stop," I snarled. "Can't you see that? She would've pummeled you to death in that fucking parking lot." I reached out to touch her again. "I had to protect you—"