Chapter 21 - Broken Glass

Hours later, when Jungkook finally gained something close to consciousness, he attempted to sit up, falling back down instantly. His head was thumping as if he had been drinking hard liquor and he felt extremely dizzy. 

Letting out a soft groan, he propped himself up against the wall and tried to figure out where he was...

The den... 

What had happened? Who brought him here? He couldn't remember anything...

The gash on his right cheek had healed slightly, but not enough to stop it stinging painfully. Looking around the den, he spotted Taehyung glaring at him.

"Finally awake then?" The slightly older boy asked with a hint of coldness in his voice. "Come down from your high yet or are you still floating on cloud 9?"

Jungkook didn't hear him. His ear was still hurting and he raised a hand to cover it. 

"Can you hear that ringing?" He mumbled, gritting his teeth. "S...so loud...." 

Just at that moment, Namjoon appeared at the opening of the den and gasped when he saw the injured boy on the ground. 

"JK? What happened to your face? Are you alright? Why do you look so tired?" 

The older boy knelt in front of him and reached out a hand to gently brush the gash. 

"Why don't you tell him why you look so tired Jeon?!" Tae spat from behind them both, making Namjoon turn and look at the boy in confusion. 

"Tae? Why are you talking like that? Can't you see he is hurt? What happened?!" 

Jungkook was about to open his mouth to tell them about the man in the alley and that person... Suga was it? But Tae interrupted. 

"I found our friend here high as hell in the local drug den!" He spat. "I tell you what happened - our new friend is a lying dog and we can't trust an addict like him."

Namjoon's eyes widened and he stared at Jungkook in shock. 

"It's not true!" The younger insisted desperately, though his voice was still weak. "Please... I can explain!"

"We don't want you." Tae growled, but Namjoon whacked the boy's knee in annoyance and turned back to Jungkook. 

"Explain." He said softly, keeping his calm sense of leadership.

Jungkook whimpered, spilling everything. He told them all about the thugs... the abuse... the knife... then Suga...

"Yoo-Suga saved you?" Tae gasped, all annoyance forgotten. 

"Yes... and he carried me to that den place. He cleaned my cut and gave me some... well I guess they weren't painkillers... but honestly - I've never even touched drugs before in my life!"

He moved onto his knees and sobbed, bowing to them in desperation. 

"P....p...please believe me! I would never lie to you - not after all the kindness you've shown me!" 

Namjoon placed a gentle hand on his back and told him to sit up. 

"We believe you." He said softly. "Stop crying." 

For some reason, the younger sobbed even louder at that. Maybe it was because the pair was once again, treating him well? Maybe it was because he had a lot bottled up and it was the first time he had cried since his mother d-

That wasn't important.

"I'm sorry JK..." Tae said, biting his lip and moving forward to hug the boy.