CHAPTER 32

My little chipmunk.

_

Carina's POV

THE SAME DAY.

Mike let the words sink in, or so it seemed.

He didn't say anything. He just sat with his eyes closed in front of me as the silence kicked in.

I didn't have anything to say to Mike. I had said whatever I had to and that was it.

I was ready to be with Mike, because I've always kept to my promises in the past, and I would keep to this one too. But, I made it pretty clear that there would never be anything between the two of us, we'll, atleast not from my side.

I was so caught up in zoning out that I almost jumped out of my skin when Mike wrapped his arms around me.

I froze under his embrace and his grip around me tightened.

"I'm sorry, Carina", he whispered.

Goodness, not again.

I didn't say a word. I just stayed there in his arms without moving a single muscle.

He pulled away from me and I looked down, not wanting to meet his gaze.

He lifted my chin to forcefully look at his eyes.

And I almost gasped when I saw him crying.

"Carina, I'm sorry. I know it's sick because I've said this plenty of times, but I need you to know that I mean it every time I say it. I can never not apologise for what I've done in the past. So, I'm sorry, you need to bear with me", he said and I wanted to roll my eyes so bad, but I stopped myself from doing it.

"All I want for you right now is to be happy. I said I'd do anything to make you happy, just anything to make you smile. But..", he trailed off.

I didn't move my gaze from his.

I'm pretty sure this is the longest time I've ever maintained eye contact with anybody.

"But, you've made me realise that I can never make you happy", he said and a tear escaped his eye.

I held back the urge to wipe his tear off.

"I'm such an idiot. Little did I know that a little mistake back then would cost me this much, I wouldn't have ever done that", he said as he broke eye contact and looked at the floor.

I stayed put.

"I would love to be the man who makes you smile, the man who loves you and the man you love and trust, but I guess that will never be me", he said as more tears began pouring out of his eyes and it pained me.

"I guess that lucky man is Niall", he said and shut his eyes.

"It is", I replied as my heart broke, because Niall and I would never be together now.

"Yeah, so you should go back to Niall", he said and I almost jumped for joy.

Wait, is this some sort of a trick?

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

"I'm serious. If you can sacrifice your love for Niall and come back to me, then I can sacrifice my love for you just to see you happy with the man you love", he said as I could hear his voice breaking.

"Are you serious?", I asked is disbelief.

He nodded his head 'yes' and I couldn't help but cry some more.