I walked to the kitchen to fill our cups with more. I was determined to keep her fed and hydrated so she would feel less like a prisoner here.

Leah was still scanning the channel guide when I returned to the couch. I sat beside her, offering one of the cups. She accepted and took a few gulps before handing it back. Once I finished mine off, I placed our cups on the coffee table.

"What sounds good?" I asked as my back straightened.

She had circled back around to the credits of the last movie.

"I don't know . . ." she murmured.

"Do you want me to pick? Or do something else?" I asked. "There are a few board games and card decks around here somewhere."

"I'm kinda tired again," she admitted sheepishly, looking down at her lap.

I lifted her chin and looked into her eyes. She didn't shy away.

"You want another nap?"

She nodded.

I ran my tongue over my bottom lip. Her fatigue from the sedative should have worn off by now. She'd spent the majority of the last twenty-four hours sleeping.

Then again, she had a lot to process and the stress of this environment probably wasn't helping. If she wanted to sleep, I would let her.

But nothing without a proper examination first.

"Okay," I ceded. "Let me check your pulse and temperature just to make sure you're alright first."

She nodded again. I turned off the television and took her hand, guiding her to the bedroom. I ordered her to sit on the bed while I turned on the lamps.

My medical supply bag was in the bedroom closet, so I pulled it out and retrieved a thermometer and blood pressure cuff. She sat perfectly still while I measured her vitals.

Ever the perfect patient.

Smiling, I pulled the stethoscope away from my ears and set the gear aside. Leah held my gaze curiously.

"What's the prognosis, doc?" she asked, the smallest hint of a smile on her lips.

"I think you're going to live." I grinned and playfully tugged on her chin. "I think I may be having a little like déjà vu."

She looked away, chuckling softly. "Yeah, me too."

I released her chin and stepped back. "Do you need to use the restroom before you lay down?"

"Maybe."

I showed her the ensuite bathroom and the private toilet. While she did her business, I stood at the double sinks and looked over my reflection.

My hair stuck up in twenty different directions and darkness lined my eyes. A fine layer of stubble shaded my jaw and chin. I took a deep breath and wet my hands to smooth down my hair.

Meanwhile, my thoughts wandered.

How long can I keep this up?

It was exhausting to be on high alert all the time. Eventually, we would run out of food. James would start to wonder what was going on if I kept her here too long.

Not to mention we both had jobs waiting for us back home. I had submitted a sick excuse to the bank owner, but they would be expecting to hear from her soon.

I just didn't trust her enough yet to take her back. If she told authorities I kidnapped her and held her hostage, I'd go to prison and lose my medical license. My life would be over.

How can I have her in my life without destroying everything I've worked so hard for?

It wasn't just about my ambitions, though. She needed to be happy, too.

I wanted her to be happy. I dreamed of a life where I could give her everything she ever wanted and more.

Although I could afford to support us both, she would never be content as a housewife. She was way too independent and motivated. They were some of my favorite qualities about her.

Leah never needed me. She probably never would.

But I needed her like my next breath and I wasn't willing to give her up. Not even if it cost me everything.

The door to the toilet opened and Leah stepped out. She approached, moving to the second sink, and looked at me through the mirror's reflection.

I smiled a little but she must have sensed the emptiness of it. As she dried her hands, she turned toward me and slowly lifted her gaze to mine.

"Don't be scared," she whispered.

I couldn't determine whether she was assuring me or herself, but she placed her palms on either side of my chest. My hands came to rest on top of them. Hers held so tiny, soft, and cold under mine.

"I am scared," I confessed. "I'm terrified of losing you."

Her eyes softened. Her head tilted to the side as she slid her palms further up my chest. She leaned up onto her tiptoes, wrapping her arms behind my neck.

I lowered my head to rest our foreheads together. My hands settled on the supple curve of her waist.

"You feel like a dream," I murmured.

The cool rush of air from her soft sight tickled the stubble on my cheeks.

"I'm not going anywhere," she said so quietly that I almost missed her words.

"Promise?"

She nodded her head against mine before pulling back to hold my gaze. "I promise, Jarrod."

I leaned down to peck her lips. Her fingers fisted the fabric of my shirt, exposing more of her mouth to me.

My lips turned rougher as I bit and tugged at her bottom lip. I cradled her jaw in my hands and briefly pulled her face away. Her eyes opened and stared back at me, fearlessly.

The fire in them stirred something primal inside me and I attacked her strawberry mouth again in possessive, desperate kisses.

"You're all mine, baby," I growled. "All mine."