The film that we chose wasn’t exactly for the guys so they ended up disappearing half way through to go and get some fresh air in the kitchen.

                “You two look adorable together,” Lisa said, twisting from her position on the sofa to look at me. I scrunched up my nose, shaking my head.

                “We’re not together.” Jenna just gave me a sour look as a form of response.

                “But you should be,” she countered. I shrugged, looking down at the tattered rug on the laminate floor.

                “I don’t know if I can go into a relationship. I’m not going to be much of a girlfriend, am I?” I asked them. Lisa answered with a tut, shortly followed with Jenna’s outburst.

                “Kathryn Price, you are absolutely gorgeous, single and totally into mucking out horse shit. You couldn’t be more his type. Besides, you deserve a little happiness.” Lisa nodded along like a bobble head next to Jenna, shoving a whole crisp in her mouth.

                “He’s not said anything, anyway, I think he’s happy as we are. As friends.” My voice was so decisive that even I almost convinced myself.

                “He’s probably just as shy as you are. Look at Carter, for example. Remember when he fancied Leah a few years back?” I nodded. “And he was far too shy to do anything so his crush just faded and then she got knocked up and dropped out.” Jenna’s speech was far from influential

                “So, if I don’t ask Eli out for myself, I’m going to end up pregnant and engaged to a drug addict?” I asked. Lisa chuckled, shaking her head.

                “Not necessarily, but I asked Josh to go somewhere with me, I kind of made the first move,” she said, leaning back on the sofa.

                “And look at me,” Jenna added. I just looked at her blankly. “Well, I asked Dean out. Asshole or not, I asked.” I sighed, resting my head back on the arm of the sofa behind me. Just as I was about to say something, Eli and Carter came back through the door, chatting among themselves.

                Lisa only stayed for another hour before Josh and Cooper picked her up, saying that she had a family dinner to go to, celebrating the wedding. Jenna and Carter also left early, because Carter could drive, getting home wasn’t difficult for them. Eli, on the other hand, had to walk, so I said it was okay for him to wait behind until the rain stopped.

                “What cupboard?” Eli asked, waving the china bowl around in his hand. I looked over my shoulder at him and then pointed to one of the bottom cupboards under the sink.

                We managed to make a pretty good team when we cleaned and put together some microwavable noodles for dinner.

                “These,” Eli said, finishing his mouthful. “Are good.” I grinned, nodding as I put my bowl in his and then placed them on the coffee table.

                “What can I say? I’m a talented chef,” I said, leaning back against the pillows. Eli smiled.

                “You used a microwave.” I shrugged, glancing at him from the corner of my eye.

                Eli got up from the sofa and went to the far wall, looking at our array of photographs. He studied each one carefully until he reached one at the very back of the room, in the corner, next to the bookshelves.

                “Is this Finn?” he asked, holding it up. I got up, walking over. It was Finn, the day that he won the championships for the school football team.

                I studied the photo, carefully looking over Finn’s features. You would’ve thought that after a month and a half without him, I’d of forgotten what he’d looked like properly. Bits of his face disappearing from my memory. That wasn’t the case.

                Finn’s deep violet, almost grey eyes, matching my own stared back at us with pride. To Eli, he probably looked like a happy kid, someone who carried a lot of pride and self admiration. Dark streaks of hair contrasted with light from the sun, making his tanned skin glow. His football kit was dirty from where he’d been sliding around and Spencer was standing with his arm around him, grinning from ear to ear.

                “I want you to do something,” I said quietly. Eli nodded wordlessly, glancing up at me. My reflection was showing in the glass of the photograph, morphing with Finn’s. It made me want to shudder. I kept the urge at bay and kept my eyes on Eli.

                “Tell me what you think of him. If you didn’t know what he was like, what would you think about him?” I asked. Eli rolled his lip into his mouth and then sighed, putting the picture back down on the table.

                “Popular guy. Happy, arrogant and pretty laid back.” I nodded, getting what I was expecting. Eli stood back and then looked at the photo for a moment, sighing.

                “What was he like, not to you, but to everyone else?”

                “Perfect. He was attractive, a lady’s man, sweet and got good grades in everything,” I paused, looking up at Eli’s emotionless expression. “If you were to write a book or a film and you wanted the idolised version of a teenage guy, you’d hire Finn.” Eli nodded, running his hand down his chin.  

                “And then he would get home?” I smiled, looking down.

                “No, he’d be perfect for Mum and Dad, as well. As soon as they went out, he’d snap.” Eli nodded, perching on the arm of the sofa. He reached forward and tentatively put his hand around my wrist. Apart from a quick stiffen, I didn’t react to it. Standing up, he brushed his thumb up my arm, causing me to shudder.

                “Shh,” he said, placing his warm hands on my upper arms. I pulled away, swallowing a lump of panic. Eli looked at me, meeting my eyes.

                “I won’t hurt you,” he promised, holding my upper arms again. I closed my eyes, blocking out the raging pulse and heavy breathing. Eli pulled me closer until I was caged between his torso and his arms. I relaxed against him, instead of seeing his arms as a cage, I saw them as an embrace. Something to hold onto.

                Tentatively, I reached around, feeling his solid muscle beneath my fingers along his back. His t-shirt was thin, making the heat radiate from him and onto me. He rested his chin on the top of my head and I felt his chin move with his words.

                “You’re doing good, Kat,” he whispered.

A/N: Please vote and thank you for the amazing banner on the side, I love it!:)