Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Harley's back was strong and lean under the saddle, his legs thumping the floor and his breaths coming in deep pants. The air was ambushing my face violently, leaving nowhere on my cheeks untouched by my hair, twisted into little whips.

Leaning up in the saddle, I clutched the reins tighter. Harley's mouth was clenched around the bit as he stretched his neck out, bounding along the muddy floor of the woods. The light was minimal, due to it being so early, but Harley twined around the trees perfectly, his muscled legs pushing us around the bends.

"Good boy," I mumbled under my breath, patting his neck when he started to slow. His rapid heartbeat was pummelling against my legs, his neck lowering so that he could clear his throat. Smiling to myself, I moved down, resting my cheek against his soft neck and wrapping my arms underneath.

He didn't stiffen and didn't move, just stayed put and relished my touch. Harley's hot neck contracted under my arms when he took a bite from the grass on the woodland floor.

I swung from his back, the balls of my feet bouncing in my trainers. Normally, people rode their horses in the proper riding wear, I tended to stick to my jeans and long shirts. Harley's ears flickered, his golden fur gleaming in the dim light. Sighing, my legs caved and I lowered myself to the floor.

"Six months he's been gone, Harl. Six months and I haven't been touched or prodded. Kind of like you with the circus, eh?" I whispered, running my small fingers along the ride of his neck. He snorted, shaking his head, making the reins jingle and his mane fly.

We stayed in the silence, bathing in the lack of noise and other people. It didn't last very long and I heard the familiar breaking of twigs and beating hooves. I closed my eyes, leaning back against the tree trunk. Harley snorted, walking over to me and nuzzling my shoulder.

Smiling to myself, I gently patted his muzzle, kissing the white blaze on his face.

"Kathryn, you shouldn't be out here on your own." My moment of silence and peace with my horse was gone, soon replaced with my mother. I got that she was worried, but I was no safer in my bedroom a year beforehand than I was in the woods.

"I know, Mum. I just needed to get out a bit," I muttered, running my hands down my face. Blue scuffed his hoof against the floor, trotting on the spot impatiently. My mother dismounted, patting her horse.

"You mean you wanted to avoid me," she corrected through a chuckle, dropping down on the floor in front of me. I offered her a smile, although we both knew that it was false and my mother's constant eyes on me had made me itchy. Made me need some space.

Since she found Finn's letter, she'd been annoyed, irrate and constantly on a warpath. That was only when I'd seen her. Somerset had been her home for the past weekend and I'd stayed back at the farm, sleeping in with Harley and making myself scarce for her arrival home.

"Kinda," I admitted uneasily, scratching the back of my neck. She sighed, moving her arm to put it around my shoulder. I stiffened and she stopped, dropping it back by her side in the dust.

"I don't blame you for that letter, sweetheart," she said through a deep breath, turning her contrasting dark eyes on my face. My mother and I were the same people in completely different packages. Her hair and eyes were dark, her skin was a ghostly pale. She had bright eyes, the sort of eyes that you knew you could instantly trust. Mine were hollow, piercing and a light shade of violet. Finn used to tell me to close my eyes when he was with me because it was like I could see into his soul. He hated it.

"You did when you read it," I mumbled under my breath, too scared to say it any louder. Pulling my knees up to my chest, I rested my chin on the tops of them.