Chapter 12

Chapter 12

                “C’mon, Kat! You can do better than that!” Finn called and I laughed, giving him a pointed look. Tempest was moving restlessly underneath him, desperate to go after the ball.

                Pony Polo had been our favourite game since we first started to ride and I hadn’t won a game once. Finn had always ruled the fields, running around on Tempest like he owned the place. I didn’t mind loosing, but Harley was an awful loser, he’d flaunt about like a spoilt child until I gave him a mint.

                “I can’t, Finn!” I whined and he laughed, pulling Tempest up beside me with no effort at all.

                “Just lean down, you won’t fall off,” he assured and I sighed, shaking my head.

                “You said that last time,” I countered but he grinned. Putting a finger out, he fiddled with the pendant on the chain of my necklace.

                “What did I tell you that would do?” he asked, motioning towards it. I looked down at the four leaf clover on the end of the chain, pure gold. He’d bought it for me for my fifth birthday, telling me that no matter what happened, I would never fall off if I wore it. It brought me good luck and he promised it would always keep me safe.

                “That I wouldn’t fall off if I wore it,” I droned, giving him a look. He leaned over and pressed a kiss to my cheek, patting my back as Tempest marched behind us, looking for the ball. Smiling, he cocked his head as we turned to look at him.

                “And have you?” he inquired. I shook my head stubbornly, pushing at Harley’s sides to get him to move. “There you go then,” he said, grinning again. I sighed, trotting around, waiting for him to grab the ball.

                “Kat.” His voice was soft as he watched me, his eyes warm with love. I offered him a small smile.

                “What?” I asked, stopping Harley and staring back at him. His violet eyes mirroring mine, contained a fiery passion.

                “I will always be here for you, you know that, right?”  I nodded and he smiled.

                “Yeah, yeah, shut up,” I teased and he chuckled, waving his polo stick in the air.

                “You’re nearly double figures now, kiddo, you should be able to beat me,” he teased. I scowled, shaking my head.

                “I’ve got five months and ten days, yet!” I called as he trotted off, his laughter filling the air at my annoyed tone.