39: Evan

Evan could tell there was a lot on Connor's mind of late. And he did his best to be there for him. But over the past week Evan had been preparing something special, a gift he could give to Connor to show how much he meant to him. He finished wrapping it up before his mum took him to school. It was raining that particular day, Evan stared out the window was the rain fell across the glass. There was something awfully soothing about it really. Evan's mum pulled up to the school car park, and as if timing couldn't get any better, Evan saw Connor getting out of his sister's car like two parking space beside him. Evan started waving aggressively through the window, trying to take his seatbelt off with his free hand.

"Gosh calm down honey." Evan leaned over and hugged his mum quickly.

"Okay thanks bye mum." He blurted out in a rush. Be practically jumped out of the car, slamming the door behind him.

"Hey Hansen." Evan honestly couldn't express how much he loved it when Connor called him that.

"Hey, i got you soemthing." Connor frowned.

"What?" Evan just smiled.

"I got you something, we should get out of the rain first." Connor just looked up and the rain poured on his face.

"Yeah probably." They walked inside and Evan sat Connor down.

"Close your eyes." Connor just looked at him.

"Really?" Evan was stubborn, he nodded. Connor rolled his eyes playfully before closing them.

"I really don't like surprises Evan." Evan shushed him as he got the package out of his bag and placed it in Connor's hands. Connor opened his eyes and laughed.

"What is the point of making me close my eyes if you wrapped the bloody thing?" Evan shrugged.

"I don't know, it adds to the suspense." Connor sniggered at Evan.

"You're such a nerd." Evan corrected him.

"Your nerd." Connor gave him a small smile.

"And don't let anyone tell you otherwise." He started pulling off the wrapping paper, in a very neat and orderly fashion. Evan was quite surprised. He thought he was the only one who did that. You see, Evan hated mess, he hated it when there was paper or bits of sticky tape left on the floor. So he did his best to try and unwrap the present in one go, that and so he could re-use the paper if he needed to. What can you say, Evan was an environmentalist. Connor smiled as he opened up the small wooden box that lay in his lap. Inside there were photos. Lots of photos, as many as Evan could get his hands on. Photos of him and Connor from the past couple of months. There were ones from the arcade, with Connor holding the giant stuffed bear Evan won for him. Ones from Connor's party, him cutting the cake. There were all the photos that the two of them had taken in the park only recently as well. And one of Evan's favourites, the picture of Connor with a chair on his leg. Connor pulled the last photo out and held it in his hand.

"When was this taken?" Evan peered over and smiled.

"That was the one Jared took, shortly after we started dating." Connor looked up at Evan smiling, he had tears starting to form in his eyes.

"Thank you." He whispered. Evan just shrugged, it was often how Evan reacted in situations in which he didn't know how to respond to. But Connor shook his head and stood up, wrapping his arms around Evan.

"I love you." Evan whispered. He felt Connor squeeze him tighter.

"I love you too." Connor broke apart, and Evan reached up and wiped his face. Connor laughed weakly.

"Evan Hansen, you know just how to fix all the little broken boys don't you?" Evan shook his head.

"Not all of them, but i think we have a knack for fixing each other." Connor just nodded as he held Evan close to him. "Do you want to come over to my place later?" Connor just laughed.