27: Connor

Connor went home that afternoon with a fiery determination. He waited until dinner, until both his parents were sitting at the dinner table. His mother served up, while his father sat on his phone. Connor just rolled his eyes. He cleared his throat.

"Ah mum and dad, i have something i need to talk to you about." His mother sat up.

"Sure Connor what is it?" Connor looked at his father, who didn't even acknowledge his presence as usual. "Connor sweetie, what was it you wanted to say."

"Thanks mum but i said i had something to tell you and dad, so expect to be able to talk to both my parents." Connor said sternly, not taking his gaze off his father. His father finally looked up.

"Oh what is it now Connor?" Connor stood up.

"Mum, Dad, i want to tell you that I've started seeing someone." His mother widened her eyes in surprise.

"Like you're dating someone?" Connor nodded. His dad shrugged and went back to his phone.

"Alright then what's her name?" Connor looked at both his parents.

"His name is Evan." Zoe looked at Connor and gave him a small smile. Their mother nodded slowly.

"So you're seeing a boy?" Connor shrugged.

"Well that would be why i used the male pronouns, good observation mum." Zoe chipped in.

"He's one of my friends mum, you met him a while back when he came to the house. She nodded slowly.

"Ah yes I remember now." Their mum shifted in her seat and spoke quietly across the table, she looked toward Connor, "Are you sure this isn't just a phase sweetheart?" His dad just laughed.

"Of course it's a phase. What have i told you Cynthia he just wants attention, and you give him too much of it." Connor laughed.

"Or maybe you don't give me enough of yours Larry." His father stood up.

"Don't you start with me young man!" His mother stepped in.

"Both of you please just sit down. Please." They sat back down in their seats. Connor shook his head.

"Look i know i am hardly your favourite child alright? I know I'm not the son you wanted, the type who you could play baseball with and take on camping trips but that's who i am dad. This is who i am, my sexuality isn't some rebellious phase I'm going through. And i know that mum doesn't know what the fuck to do with her broken son and disfunctional marriage but at least she can admit when there is a problem. You, you can't. You just sit there on your phone and pretend like the world revolves around you!" Larry slammed his hands on the table.

"Please just calm down Larry." He ignored her.

"THATS IT. GO TO YOUR ROOM." Connor calmly got up and went up the staircase. He got a couple of steps up when he turned.

"I'm not asking you to be happy with who i am, I'm just asking you to accept it. Also, Zoe got an A on her english test a while back. Thought you should know." He disappeared up the stairs. He stayed in his room practising his english monologue as Macbeth until he heard a knock on the door. He opened it to find Zoe there.

"Hey." He said as he went and sat back on his bed.

"Hey." Zoe said as she stood at his door. "You alright?" Connor shrugged.

"Yeah, not exactly anything new isn't it?" Zoe nodded at that one.

"I'm sorry you had to be there, I probably should have had the conversation after dinner it's just- that's the only time mum and dad are actually seated together. Zoe shrugged.