38: Connor

Connor was in rehearsals, they were going over the song "The Dark I Know Well" with the all the girls, when Rich started throwing a fit.

"No no start start again, from the top." Rich was often in a bad mood, Connor could never really tell why. He just assumed the guy had anger issues or needed some drugs. He shuffled over to where Connor was, who was looking at the costumes, off in his own head. "Aye what are you up to?" Connor jumped and turned around.

"Uh right sorry, just checking out the costumes. When is the performance?" Rich nodded.

"September some time I'm thinking, if these girls can get their act together. Then there are the rest of the guys who are always out of time. It's driving me nuts." Connor nodded slowly, trying to hide the fact Rich was giving him the creeps.

"Just remember it's only a school production, don't put so much pressure on yourself."

"NO IT MUST BE PERFECT" Connor just stood there wide-eyed as Rich practically burst in front of him. He composed himself unnaturally quickly.

"Sorry, i, ah i didn't mean to-" Rich shook his head.

"No please, my bad I'm just under a lot of pressure right now." Connor raised his eyebrows.

"From who? Parents giving you a hard time?" Rich shook his head as he stared blankly off into space.

"No they're fine, there's a little voice in my head. He is the one giving me a hard time." Rich suddenly started twitching before shaking his head. "Sorry, my mum thinks i have terr-" Connor stared awkwardly at the floor. Rich shook his head. "So, who is that kids that follows you around all the time?" Connor was taken aback by such a question, especially out of context.

"Ah that's Evan, my boyfriend." Connor made sure he put as much emphasis as he could on those last two words.

"Right. That makes sense then." Rich nodded slowly as if thinking, Connor assumed it must have hurt.

"What do you have a problem with a gay lead?" Connor crossed his arms as he started down at Rich, who was about the same height as Evan, maybe a little taller. He could feel the anger rising in his throat. Rich over-dramatically put his hands up above his head.

"Nah man, i mean half this cast is bi as far as I'm aware at least. How long have you two been, well you know, together?" Connor seemed to relax a little.

"A few months now I'd say." Rich smiled and patted Connor on the back.

"Well enjoy it while it lasts Connor." He started to walk off.

"What do you mean while it lasts?" Connor asked him, he stopped and turned around.

"Well after school, i mean, you really don't think you guys will stay together do you?" Connor just stood there, trying to comprehend what Rich was saying.

"What so you mean?" Rich started laughing.

"Oh god that's, that's real sweet." He pretended to wipe a tear from his face, "I mean think about it. You're going to go off to college, assuming both of you want to go to college, you'll meet new people and discover new places. The last thing you are going to want to come to back is your high-school boyfriend." Connor's face darkened.

"You don't know that." Rich just shrugged.

"I know more than you think Connor, but you're right I'm probably wrong. I'd just hate for someone to hold you back from achieving your dream that's all..." Connor got up in Rich's face.

"Now you listen to me. You leave Evan out of this understand? I'm doing this, this whole freaking drama act of yours, for him. So if anyone is going to hold me back it's you, and trust me you don't want to get on my bad side." Rich just stared at Connor as he walked away and packed up his stuff. Connor felt so angry, he couldn't believe what Rich had just said to him. How dare he accuse Evan of holding him back? But there was one thing that stuck in Connor's mind. One thing that Rich said that Connor simply couldn't shake.

"The last thing you are going to want to come back to is your high-school boyfriend." Connor swallowed hard as he grabbed his stuff and walked out the room, blinking back the tears that slowly formed in his eyes.