3: Connor

Next day, Connor got his ride to school with Zoe. He scanned the halls for Evan, who happened to be at his locker.

"Hansen, here's the paper." He slipped the paper into Evans hands.

"Okay thanks Connor." And with that Connor walked off, in a more tolerable mood than normal. So in Connor terms, he was having a fucking good day. He made his way to all his classes. In third period he sat in the middle of biology with his laptop open when a notification came up on his screen.

From: Tree.ranger@outlook.com

To: teen.angst@gmail.com

Subject: Part B

Dear Connor Murphy,

Okay so I think I understand this, Alana looked over my shoulder and was explaining it. But it's hard to sort of demonstrate over email. I know you said you didn't want to do this in person but my mum works late hours on Fridays if you want to come over, no one will ever know you were there. It would be the easiest way to sort this out.

Sincerely,

Me

Well would you look at that. Connor Murphy scored himself a play date. Friday rolled around and after school Connor and Evan took the bus to Evan's place. The house was small, much smaller than Connor expected. They walked in the door and Evan took Connor to the bedroom down the hall. A small little room with completely white walls, and a little window looking out at the street. He had a small wooden desk and a single bed with a matching nightstand and a couple of small shelves. Evan put his stuff neatly beside his desk and sat on his bed as he pulled the papers from his bag.

"Okay so if we are looking at the rate of interest compounding monthly over the basis of a 30 year loan we have to look at- what is it?" Connor didn't realise he'd been staring. He shook his head, trying to snap himself out of it.

"Right sorry it's just, your room is so small." Evan slouched over uncomfortably and scratched the back of his head.

"Yeah well we don't have a lot of money, mum is always working trying to pay for the rent and school fees and therapist appointments and this was the only place she could afford." Evan shrugged his shoulders and starting playing with the hem of his shirt. "She says things will be different once she's done with study. She works so hard, i just wish i could help her more." Connor could tell that Evan wasn't really taking to him anymore, but more to himself. Evan seemed to realise this to and laughed awkwardly.

"Sorry, that was weird, sorry." Connor shrugged it off.

"Don't worry about it we all have issues. I could write a list off the top of my head." Connor sat himself down on Evan's bed and the two of them worked on their assignment for several hours, and actually got majority of it finished. It supposed Connor how productive he was being for once. And without drugs!

"This must be hell for you." Connor laughed to himself. Evan looked up from his pages of equations.

"What do you mean?" Connor laughed.

"Getting stuck with me. I mean what were the chances out of everyone in that room we were paired." Evan shrugged.

"You're not that bad." This caught Connor off guard.

"Huh?" Evan repeated himself, as he was packing up all his books.

"You're not that bad Connor. It's actually been sorta fun hanging out with you." Connor scoffed.

"Fun? Couple of days ago you were terrified of me and now I'm fun?" Evan smiled, a shy sort of smile, he turned to face the other way as if trying to hide it.

"Well everyone has a good and a bad side don't they? Just because you act a certain way around people and they see you a particular way doesn't mean that's who you are. That's just how people perceive you, its not necessarily true. It doesn't define you." A moment of silence lingered between the two boys. Connor could feel his eyes burning, how is it this kid knew exactly what to say. He just knew what to say.

"Have a good weekend Hansen, see you around school." Evan nodded.

"You too Connor."

They didn't know it yet. It was too early for them to possibly know. But the exchange that took place in that computer lab only days before had officially changed their lives. And they would never be the same.

...

The weeks went by and Connor would meet Evan at his place on a Friday afternoon to do their maths assignment. And when that was finished they worked on History, French, Chemistry. And Connor was actually getting everything done, for once, without having to pull all-nighters. It's funny, the two of them didn't really even talk that much. But just being in the company of another person, an equal, made it that much easier to cope with everything. And he felt... happier. Not so irritable and depressed at everything. Connor was packing up his stuff for school, threw on a pair of his old converse on and was prepared to walk out the door. But when he came into the kitchen Zoe wasn't even ready yet, which was very much unlike her.

"Zoe! Where are you? You better not have left without me!" And as if on queue Zoe came bursting through the door.

"Calm your tits brother I'm right here." Woah she was in a mood. Her hair was all over the place and Connor was pretty sure her cardigan was inside-out. Was it that time of month again? Ya know, when the girls start turning into werewolves?

"I should be telling you to calm your tits, seriously what is up with you this morning?" Zoe shook her head.

"Nothing I'm just stressed, i have an English exam tomorrow and I'm just worried about it okay?" Connor nodded calmly. Then he had the greatest of great ideas. Connor knew Evan was incredibly good at English, he remember that his English teacher would brag to all the other English teachers about Evan's essays- particularly his one on the novel 'Sula'. Back then he just thought "What a prick" but this could be a great way to solve both of their problems. Zoe needed help with her school work, Evan needed help talking to Zoe. Genius! Connor felt like a god. Okay maybe not god, that was a bit extreme, but maybe Jesus. Yes. Today Connor Murphy would be the Jesus Christ of this school, making the lives of Zoe Murphy and Evan Hansen a little less bullshitty. Connor smiled to himself.

"Zoe i think i have an idea..." She looked up in surprise. Connor just smiled knowingly. Today was going to be a good day.