Chapter Eleven

6 Days Later

Thursday, One Day Before the Wedding, 8:30 am, Baekhyun's POV:

- You were still outraged with Hyukkie, but you were managing to hide it well enough.

- Jaehwan hadn't left the private wing of the castle for three days after what happened. Hyukkie said he was busy preparing for the wedding, but you knew that was a lie. His fiancé was in seclusion until his bruises faded enough to be covered by makeup. You had kept an eye on Jaehwan, periodically checking up on him through cracks in the doors to your secret passages, and he had done basically nothing but read and sleep the whole time.

- If he wasn't reading, your soon-to-be prince followed your king around like a lovesick puppy. He didn't seem angry about what happened. On the contrary, he was more under Hyukkie's spell than ever! Before, they had a playful, evil-dynamic-duo vibe which even you had to admit was the tiniest bit cute. But now, Jaehwan did every single thing Hyukkie said without comment or complaint. The depth of his obedience made you sick.

- The people had been overjoyed when Jaehwan returned from seclusion, and the first morning Hyukkie brought him out on the balcony, they had screamed and cheered for half an hour after they came back inside. You were starting to get the impression that Hyukkie had chosen to marry a commoner deliberately. You guessed it was a good political move since everyone loved them now.

- You were sitting at the table in the dining room, waiting for your king to arrive before you started eating. The room felt so empty without Hunnie, it was like someone had torn your heart to shreds every time you came in here. You buried that feeling as deeply as you could.

- The double doors opened, and Hyukkie walked in, holding a thoroughly diminished looking Jaehwan's hand. Thankfully, his fiancé's terrifying bodyguard stayed outside. He always watched you extra closely whenever you were around Jaehwan, and you thought that Hyukkie must teach his guards how to stare the way he did. He wasn't even really a body guard; his actual job was to report on what Jaehwan did while Hyukkie was gone.

- "Good morning, Bacon," Hyukkie said, sitting down across from you and running a hand along the hem on his fiancés white and black button-down. Your king had on a similar looking red one, but his fit perfectly where Jaehwan's looked distinctly oversized.

- "Good morning, Satan. Sleep well?" you asked, hoping his answer would be no.

- "Very," Hyukkie replied, glancing at Jaehwan who was smiling adoringly at him. For the thousandth time, you wondered how Hyukkie had managed to break him.

- Before asking for his help, you had tried every trick you knew. Cruelty, kindness, even seduction! But the ex-guard captain hadn't responded to any of it. He was one of the most stubborn and angry people you had ever met. It was actually admirable! But even you wouldn't do what Hyukkie had done to him. Seeing someone that strong be completely broken and treated this way was a heart breaking, if you were honest. It was a waste.

- "How about you, Jaehwan? Did the People's Prince get lots of rest?" you asked, only managing to make your tone the slightest bit nasty.

- Jaehwan was still smiling at your king, but he replied, "We didn't do very much resting."

- How Jaehwan could stand to touch Hyukkie after what you witnessed boggled your mind, let alone sleep with him! "Well, you do what you've got to do," you said evenly, before taking a bite of cereal.

- Neither said anything, so you glanced up to see Hyukkie staring coldly at you. "What?" you snapped, not having any patience to be watched like prey.