Chapter Seven

Friday, Namjoon's Study, 10:30 am, Jin's POV:

- You were slightly panicking. Jaehwan's mess of an appearance was very bad, but you had left him and Hyuk with Kookie in the library, sent Hoseok off to go find Yoongi, and were now in Namjoon's study, trying not to yell.

- "Kai is going to lose his mind! They are supposed to be here in 15 minutes! We can't let him see Kenjumma!" you exclaimed, bracing your hands on Monie's desk and looking worriedly at your husband.

- "I know. I know that, but I don't see how we are going to keep them away from each other, aside from locking Jaehwan in his room! They eat together, what are we going to do?!" he replied, looking up at you.

- "I don't know, but we need to figure something out! I have no idea what Sanghyukkie was thinking, but if Kai was trying to pick fights with him before, then he's going to go insane now!" you exclaimed.

- You were temporarily ignoring Jaebum's quiet fury in the corner of the room, and you had made sure Yoonsun was safe in his nursery with Jackson and his nanny. Kai's guilt about Jaehwan's kidnapping had changed into a weird protective anger, and his behavior was staring to remind you of how Sehun acted when you were engaged. It was both worrying and very inconvenient.

- Yoongi was another puzzle. Sure, he and Jaehwan had been friends, but he was always so busy that your cousin had never really had time to get very attached to anyone. You had realized afterward that his rudeness during the first breakfast when Jaehwan came back had been an attempt to evaluate Jaehwan's mental state, not pure suspicion like Namjoon's. But you guessed his constant watchfulness wasn't that strange, he behaved that way towards Taehyung. It's how he protected people.

- "Our family is crazy! I don't know what to do!" you said exasperatedly, collapsing in one of the chairs and putting a hand over your eyes. "Jaehwan isn't your family! I told you days ago, he's too far gone! All of you need to let him go!" Namjoon snapped.

- You uncovered your eyes and looked at him sidelong across his desk. "I don't abandon my family, especially not when they clearly need help," you replied coolly, and your husband sighed impatiently.

- "Would you just kick Jackson out of your life if he was having a mental breakdown?" you asked sharply, waiting a few seconds as Namjoon's annoyed expression faltered, before continuing, "No, you wouldn't. Because he's your friend. You would do whatever you could to help."

- "That's not the same," Namjoon started to reply, but the sound of a carriage outside cut his words short. "They're early," you huffed impatiently, standing up and smoothing down the front of your shirt.

- The two of you quickly left his study, Jaebum walking on your left as you went to meet Kai and Kyungsoo at the castle entrance. When you got there, the king and his fiancé were already waiting in the entry hall, looking angrier than you were expecting.

- Namjoon and Jungkook had left them at the border to deal with the generals when they went to stop Baekhyun's invasion, and Kyungsoo did all the work in that department. As far as you were aware, Kai's only real job was to walk around and look magisterial. Why would he be this frustrated?

- At least he was very good at his job, Kai looked very imperious, especially with his newly acquired temper. "Jinyoung's dead. So is his father," Kai snapped, glaring at both of you from where he stood in the middle of the hall.

- "What?! When? How?" Namjoon replied incredulously, beating you to the punch. Crown-prince Jinyoung had never ended up taking sides in the war, and you had never met him, but Namjoon had told you that he was a sly and crafty person to keep an eye on.