Sex, Secrets, and Lies ((Part 14))

~Jace's POV~

I was angry, no upset.

Now that I had had time to calm down I realized that I had blown that all out of proportion and that maybe biting her was taking it a bit too far, but I had thought that by biting her I would re-establish our bond; and I had been right.

I could feel it now, just as good as I could before everything bad had happened, only it was different now. It seems that with the new developing of my powers Cheyenne's had heightened as well. She was now able to hold herself off from me; there was an image I kept getting as I tried to access her memories -a black, Iron box with a tiny, Iron lock. In it I knew I would find all of the things she was keeping from me but there was no way I was going to get inside, that much was obvious.

It saddened me to know that she felt like she had to hide things from me and I started feeling bad about what I said to her, that this all happened because of her and her secrets. Of course I knew that wasn't true, of course I realized that things were happening around us that nobody could control, let alone Cheyenne's secrets, but I hadn't been able to contain my anger lately. I had flipped out on Doc the other night when I had confronted him, felt myself loosing control, and then again tonight with Cheyenne...what was that? What had I been doing differently?

An image of a familiar red head with fair skin popped into my mind but I shook it away and stopped running.

Where was I?

After I had taken Cheyenne's blood I had taken off, ran until I was far enough away from her that her presence didn't have any affect over me anymore, and then I kept running. I took stock of my surroundings and then realized where I was. This was the place that Cheyenne had brought me the first time she came in contact with a hell-hound; it was also the place I was overwhelmed by the small group of hounds and beaten to a pulp.

I shook that memory away too and turned to head home. I was being childish, Cheyenne was right about that. Doing what she had been doing to me wasn't going to get us anywhere and I should probably go back and talk to her. Maybe, just maybe, if I did that then she would finally open up to me too. I turned and headed back to the house.

When I got back everything was silent and I realized that it would be a bad idea to wake her up; now that I think of it, she seemed to be sleeping peacefully...for once. Shay bounded over to greet me and I knelt down to pet her; I was about to join her for cuddle time on the couch when I heard Jasmine start crying.

Hm, that's strange, she usually sleeps through the night.

I decided at once that I would get her but didn't want to rush to her in case she fell back to sleep. I slowly climbed the stairs, listening to see if she stopped, and then I heard Cheyenne say "you got her?" At first I thought she was talking in her sleep but when I rounded the corner I saw her close the door to Jasmine's room and turn, knocking right into me.

She looked up at me with sleepy eyes and then they quickly changed to a look of horror. I wondered what was going on, my brain was slowly processing what was happening.

"Jace?" She whispered.

I was going to respond to her, ask her what was going on, but then Jasmine's cry pierced from the other side of the door and Cheyenne did a three-sixty mood change.

I've seen her make the change before, but never has she went from normal to fury in such a short second. Her eyes filled with black that pooled over the edges and she whirled around and crashed the door open, sending splinters everywhere. She ran up to the figure standing before Jasmine's crib and grabbed him by the back of the shirt, swinging him towards the floor. He rolled and then bounced back onto his feet, smiling a feral smile at her.