The Secret Moon ((Part 13))

~Jace's POV~

I felt like we had gone over everything. Cheyenne had been right all along, we should have been more involved in the investigation and doing less of the 'hiding-and-trying-to-stay-safe' that we were doing. If we had been investigating more than maybe I would know where they were denned up right now and I would be able to save Cheyenne.

It had been six hours since she had been kidnapped and there had been no trace of her since then. I was pacing the floor, trying to think of something that I might have missed when a hand touched my arm.

"If you keep pacing like that you're going to put a hole in the floor."

Paige. It was always Paige trying to connect with me; didn't she understand that she wasn't and would never be Cheyenne? I would never be with her.

"Get your hand off of me please." I said to her, trying to keep my cool.

"Come on Jace, just sit down and relax for a minute or two - I can help you if you want..."

I moved so quickly that she didn't have time to react; I pinned Paige to the wall and bared my fangs at her - I'm ashamed to admit that I growled more ferociously that I should have. Paige smiled at me and tried to lean in closer; I shoved her into the wall again, harder.

"I don't nor will I ever want you, Paige. You mean nothing to me and if it weren't for the promise I made to protect you and the other hunters you would be out on the street as hell-hound bait, it that understood?"

Paige's eyes had dilated as I had been threatening her and even if she wouldn't admit out loud that she was scared I knew that she was. I took a couple deep breaths to calm myself and then stepped away from her.

"Now please leave my sight."

Paige's head slumped and she backed away towards the door, calling her dogs, along with Mia's, to her. When she opened the door though there wasn't an empty hallway waiting for her; there was a large circle of Cheyenne's dogs with Bebe leading them.

"Of course!" I whispered, mostly for myself. "Why didn't I think of that?"

I felt stupid and idiotic. Here I was trying to do "problem solving" when I had a team waiting for me that was more connected to Cheyenne then even I was with the bond we shared. She might be able to shut me out but I knew for a fact that she couldn't shut them out.

"Paige, go get the other hunters, we have to go to Cheyenne's house."

"Why?" She asked.

"Just fucking do it, I'll explain on the way there."

Jane was sitting on the edge of her seat and gripping her seat; I heard her heart rate accelerating because she was nervous to face the mutants again. There was a dog tail in my face; I couldn't tell you which dog it was because I wasn't really paying attention and if it wasn't for my enhanced reflexes and vision I probably would have crashed already because lets face it, my car was not meant for nineteen dogs and eight people.

I slammed on the brakes in her driveway and threw my door open; dogs spilled out behind me and all of them started barking - they could feel something was wrong.

I made my way towards the back of the house where the barn was that she stored the mutants in. I never understood what she saw in them, but then again, I guess that's one of the things I love about her - her passion for her animals whether vamped up or regular. I could smell them as I got closer to the barn and that was how I knew, even before seeing, that the mutants were gone.

There was a very ragged hole in the barn wall with lots of mutant blood on and around it. There were two dead animals right inside of the hole; probably got killed by the others in the frenzy to get out of the barn and get to their hurt mistress. I turned to see the hunters and dogs watching me, waiting for some kind of command.

"Bebe, come over here."

The strong, black wolf cross stood up and trotted over to me. I knew she wasn't doing it to obey me, she was doing it because she knew that I wanted to find Cheyenne almost as much as her. There was a small glint in the dogs eye and I could see that she was really suffering.

"Follow the mutants, please?" I asked her, knowing that she required respect.

Bebe pulled her lip back and showed me her teeth and then put her nose to the ground. After getting a few nostril fills of the mutant blood she lifted her head, tilted it backwards and bayed into the night. The other dogs lifted their heads and copied her. After one long bay she looked at me one final time and then took off into the woods.

"There's no time to loose hunters. Go inside and collect all the weapons you can as fast as you can and then get back out here; we've got a pack to follow."

Dave led the hunters into the house and was the first out of the house with two duffel bags hanging from his shoulders. There was another howl from the distance, we had no time to loose. I could get to the dogs much faster if I just left the hunters, but I knew that wasn't what was safest for me. If I died, it wouldn't be what was best for Cheyenne because as of right now she was relying on me to get her out of there.

"Are you guys ready for this?" I asked them. "Because killing that army of vampires is going to seem like a walk in the park compared to this."

Jane stepped forward, clutching the strap to her bag tightly.

"Let's go kick some hell-hound ass."

Paige stepped up next to her and gave me a sly smile. "Yes, lets."

_____________________________________________________________________________________

This was a short chapter but I just wanted to give you guys something to chew on since you're such good fans :]

All in Jace's POV :]

Btw, I'm making a facebook for this story so keep a look out for a link to it!

Vote/Comment