thirty eight

P

P.S. Goal: 21 Comments & 21 Votes

As a weekend arrived in the cold island of Astoria, people were residing in the comfort of their homes. Although werewolves, it didn't mean they enjoyed the cold any more than the next person, hence the lighting of fireplaces and the bundling of sweaters and joggers for most people, especially the children. It was gray and crisp, the air nipping at your exposed skin if you were to step outside as most refused, except on this day there was no option to.

Lying in bed by herself in the early afternoon laid a tired Lyla who did work in the comfort of her sleeping chambers, typing relentlessly the papers she had put off for far too long as finals were quickly around the corner. Although a Luna in waiting, she wasn't looked at any differently, even with her status slowly being rumored around the island.

It had yet to be announced, and Lyla was dreading that day that seemed like a living hell. Reactions would be mixed; she was sure of it. She was anticipating the worst at this point after the not so welcoming manners of people she'd met in her years on the island, even with the past Alpha himself, Leonardo. He gave her no confidence in the situation, even with the approval of his mate, she still casted a negative gaze over herself.

Lyla sighed as she shut her textbook that rested beside her, then closing her laptop as she gave up on her work for the meantime. School was becoming more and more of a chore with the lack of sleep she was receiving and the endless amount of stress she was enduring.

Venus still suffered endless nights of screaming and withering in utter pain, her body feeling as if every bone was being shattered, rattling the crystal chandeliers that hung in every room in the palace. And then came the stress of Caden himself and the thought of Alpha Caspian and his plans of Goddess knows what. It was all a mess of confusion and chaos, effecting Romulus the worst as he would barely see his mate for most of the day.

His days were mostly spent in his office with his warriors, Gammas and Beta, planning strategies and sending spies into Etherion borders to catch a glance at the men in question. He trusted no one beside his small group of friends and warriors he deemed family in secret.

It was an uphill battle from here, especially with trespassers making their way onto the island almost every day. Coming in pairs or more, they would attempt to attack the warriors at the border, always failing and ending up in the torture chambers ran by the Alpha himself.

With this going on, it left him out of the bedroom most of the time, only sleeping for a few hours of the day in the early morning, then leaving by the time Lyla was awake for school. She'd only see him for maybe an hour a day, sometimes less, even when it came to her birthday he was barely around after the childish game of hide and seek.

Her love for him never wavered though, only growing even with the pain of separation squeezing her desperate heart. Desperate for love and affection, she knew the sacrifices she had to make in order to be a Luna and keep the island safe, and that meant letting Romulus perform his Alpha duties without Lyla being a distraction.