five

The blood of an Astorian Alpha will make us rise again...

"EARTH TO LYLA."

Lyla's eyes snapped towards Liam's, his holding a look of confusion as Venus paid no mind to them, engrossed in her conversation with her mate. Lyla gave him an inquisitive look, being oblivious to the dozed off state she was previously in.

"You alright there? You've been out of it for ten minutes." Liam stated as he was chewing on his fries.

"Yeah...I guess drinking just threw me off last night. Kept having weird hallucinations when I got home. I don't know, it means nothing." Lyla shrugged it off as if it was nothing but knowing it was anything but. It was plaguing her mind.

After coming home from the senior bonfire at Crystal Cliff, her mind and body was drowned in blurred and drunken thoughts. It felt as if a million voices were speaking at once, their voices holding a sinister yet enticing tone as they lured her into the darkness of their abyss. Instead of being drunk off of the tequila and vodka that still burned in her blood, it was the voices leaving her in a drunken state.

But at random seconds, all the voices would sync into one, all repeating the same line, over, and over, and over again, almost as if they are chanting a spell of the dead. Her last remaining thought was seeing a pair of almost white irises staring into hers, but instead of the light, they held the dark.

Lyla had woken up the next morning as if nothing had happened, as if she hadn't had one too many shots past her limit to send her into an alcoholic frenzy. She had no hangover, no agonizing headache...nothing. Just the remembrance of those voices in her head...and those eyes.

And now here she was, a Saturday afternoon with her usual group, laying in the sun with food varying in different fast food restaurants displayed all over the picnic blanket. Even though no one had a hangover, everyone still craved the typical junk-food munchies. It was six fast food restaurant stops later until they got to where they were now, drowning in junk food and coke cola.

"Oh! I almost forgot to tell you guys!" Venus sparked up, diverting her attention away from her mate. "There was a breach at the border last night. A man from Etherion came uninvited towards the castle while we were at the bonfire."

"Wait, what? Why make an unannounced visit? The Alpha usually lets people from Etherion come in as long as they're accompanied." Lyla said, then glancing towards Liam who only shrugged his shoulders.

"Beats me. I mean, we all know the bad blood between us two but...that still makes it weird. I heard one of the border patrols speaking about it while you guys were getting the food. All I know is that he's locked down in the palace."

While the girls spoke, Liam opened his mind link with the Alpha, knowing full well that this was not meant to be public information. He kept the link open during most of the conversation until Venus grew bored and changed the topic, but only leaving Liam wanting to know more. Why?