thirty six

P

P.S. Goal: 21 Comments & 21 Votes

P.P.S. Be sure to check out my new book, Dolphin Cove, a romance novel!

BLOCKING OUT ALL the sounds that surrounded herself, Lyla pushed herself up from the dirt floor, then sprinting into the Hendricks house to find her best friend. Running through the narrow hallways painted in white with a vast amount of pictures hung up on the walls, Lyla found her way to Venus' room and barged through the door.

In the middle of the room not even lying on her bed, Venus laid on the floor wrapped in a ball with her legs tightly clung to her chest as sobs mixed screams escaped her mouth. Her face beat red in pain and stress, her body convulsing with every scream that coursed through her body. Hair disheveled and falling out of its bun, her hands reached up to pull at it as another scream ripped through her body.

It was as if Venus was being stabbed by knives drowned in burning lava, her body shaking in pain as if she was being murdered. Breaths came out ragged as her chest heaved in and out, no regulation in her breathing patterns as she couldn't contain her emotions.

Lyla watched in pure agony deep within her chest, her heart shattering into a million glass pieces as she watched her best friend fall apart. She had heard of mates leaving their own for someone else, and the pain being unbearable for most to endure. It reminded her of the stories told to her by Liam's mate, Daeva how her mother was betrayed by her mate in such horrid acts.

And there Venus was, going through the same thing, the same thing her mother went through over a decade ago. History repeated itself with the Hendricks household, something no mate should ever endure. But here it was, in her arms of her best friend.

Lyla quickly ran over to Venus who paid no mind to her best friend that had entered the room. Venus had no idea Lyla had even entered until Lyla's hand fell onto her sweaty skin, causing her head to whip to see the brunette quickly. Venus' mouth fell agape as tears still streamed down her cheeks, in shock that Lyla was here before her.

No words needed to be said between the girls as Lyla reached forward, her arms wounding themselves tightly around Venus' small frame, encasing her in her loving embrace. She laid there on the floor with her, letting Venus then begin to cry in her arms and let out muffled screams as her face was rested against Lyla's chest. Lyla felt the vibrations of the screams rupture her heart, feeling it fall apart again in the safety of her ribs.

Seeing her best friend in this state made Lyla want to hunt down the bastard that did this to her. Venus was the last person in the world that deserved this outcome, the only girl who deserved the world after her horrid father left for another woman. But history repeated itself, and it ruined the once spunky girl who left everyone laughing for hours on end.

"Shh...let it out, V." Lyla whispered into her ear as she placed a kiss on the crown of her head. "I'm not going anywhere. I got you. I promise."

Rocking from side to side, Lyla kept Venus in the comfort of her arms, enduring the screams and cries that continue to escaped her swollen mouth. It was evident to Lyla that this had been going on for an extended amount of time, bringing more disgust within her veins for Caden.