forty six

P

P.S. Goal: 21 Comments & 21 Votes

"Are you sure you want to do this, Flower? We can make arrangements at the palace like we've done for Liam and Venus."

Giving Romulus a reassuring smile, she held his hand in her own as it swayed from side to side besides their bodies. "I'll be okay. It's just for a couple days. Besides, Friday is in two days and then I'll be back at the palace. I just need some air and I want to give Venus space after what happened.

Romulus nodded his head even though apprehension ran through his blood. "I don't like that Liam isn't here. You need someone watching over you, Flower. It isn't sa-"

"Romulus." Lyla reached upwards and wrapped her arms around his neck as she brought herself to her tippy-toes. "I'll be okay. It's only for a couple days, that's it. Nothing bad will happen."

"Fine." He groaned. "But if anything, I mean anything, you mind-link me immediately. You're checking in every time you switch classes and believe me, I know your schedule."

Even being annoyed with his mate's decisions, he couldn't help but place his lips on her forehead, kissing it tenderly before resting his chin on top of her head. He stood there in silence as Lyla absorbed his words, agreeing to his terms and conditions as she buried herself in his chest. Even though she had been the one to make the final decision she wished she didn't have to leave her mate.

Being five feet apart was torturous enough for the young girl, but now they had to be miles apart for hours a day, all because of her doing. But, she knew it was best for herself and to have some sort of normalcy in her life. Lyla wanted to be part of the people still and not have her entire life fulfilled with royalty and troubles. She wanted to turn back the clocks just a little bit to experience more of a normal life before that were to all be stripped away.

While in Romulus' embrace, the sounding of the first bell rang in the air signaling the first class was about to begin. "I need to go."

He shook his head as Romulus held on tighter to his mate not wanting to let go. "I'll mind-link your professor. Just another moment, Flower."

Lyla smiled into his chest before placing her lips against the fabric of the sweater he wore, then inhaling his usual scent that was drowned in his intoxicating cologne. She didn't want to let go, instead wanting to find herself lost in her mate once again as he was her haven, her safe home from all the darkness lingering over their love.

But it was time to go, as much as they were both dreading it as Lyla slowly unraveled her arms from her mate and letting them slide into his hands. "I love you."

It was bitter sweet for the pair as Romulus placed his hands on the sides of her face, cupping the warmth of her cheeks in the palms of his hands as his lips cascaded down onto her own pair. Moving slowly and gently, Romulus let the moment linger a few seconds longer before pulling away, only to peck her lips one last time before revealing a saddened smile.