twenty two

P

P.S. Goal: 20 Comments & 20 Votes

"Y'KNOW, I REMEMBER meeting your first day on the island. You were a cute baby, cuter than Romulus. He was so fat in his baby pictures."

Emory had already shown Lyla all of the third and second floors of the palace, now on the first going through the public quarters, they all shared. She had expressed that the south wing was made for the guests that would stay at the palace, and the north was for the Royals where they were an hour prior. The bedrooms were on the third floor, as well as the second, holding twenty-four bedrooms and forty bathrooms in the entire lot. It was vast and divine, but they were the royal family; it was expected.

Lyla listened to Emory briefly as she would speak about the rooms they would quickly look at, then go to the next, being in awe of the architectural designs and colors. It expressed the buildings and artwork of ancient times in Greece and Rome, such a pivotal time in architectural history. Her dad, a builder on the island, would be in heaven being able to explore this masterpiece.

Now as they were on the first floor, they were making their way through the chef's quarters and his kitchen running full steam ahead with preparing breakfast for the home. Everyone was rushing, people were shouting, and pans were sizzling. It much reminded Lyla of Hell's Kitchen, but the chef, Eduardo being the sweetheart he was he let her have one of his notable blueberry muffins before they left. Lyla was much appreciative of it.

She nibbled on the muffin as they entered the second kitchen for where the royals and their guests could make meals of their own. Emory expressed it was always used on Sunday by her mother and mother's sister-in-law to prepare the family meal they made a tradition in the palace. It was done to give some normalcy to the un-normal family, something Emory was extremely fond of.

"You remember me that long ago?" Lyla asked as she swallowed a bite of the muffin that had melted in her mouth.

Emory chuckled. "It's kinda hard to forget the day your brother scared the living shit out of you for the first time. And seeing his body bend and snap the way it did, it left an impressionable image in my mind. And then you came along."

Obviously, Lyla had no recollection of the day, only the words told to her by her mother from that infamous meeting. She wished she could see that far into the past, just being a month old but the first time seeing Romulus at nine years old. It made her smile. She was sure he was a cute kid.

"Yeah...sorry about that," Lyla said apologetically with a smile on her face.

"Don't sweat it. It got me spoiled for two weeks. It was more a win for me."

Lyla giggled, then finishing the remaining bits of the muffin, and throwing the rapper out in the nearest trash.

Emory continued the tour, taking her through the ballroom where it all began just weeks ago, then into the large marble corridor that led to the gardens of the palace. On the back of the palace laid the wall of glass windows, a case of shattering material that gave a two-seventy view of the enormous gardens that led to the woods.