Chapter 6 - Lively

I drive Connor and I to my favorite food cart in the rural part of Detroit, the owner, Leo, knows me so he gives me free meals a lot, so long as I look away at a few certain situations he involves himself in.

I stopped by the station before pulling up to the cart to tell Fowler about what happened, he wasn't pleased, to say the least. I tried to get Connor to stay there, but he followed me... of course, he can't leave me alone for five seconds.

We pull up to the place and I park, "You're gonna wait in the car so I don't have them asking me a hundred questions about you" I command, Connor nods which surprises me, but hey you win some you lose some.

"Natasha, how you doing?" Leo asks, "Eh, you know, same old shit," I say.

"Plastic with you?" Leo asks and nods to the car, I turn around and see Connor getting out of the car, "Only temporary" I respond, why can't he just listen to me for once.

Connor always looks like a lost puppy following me around, it's infuriating.

He speaks to me like I'm some child, and he acts like I can't control myself, it's fucking annoying.

"Hey, Nat. How you doin' girl?" Ricky says, he gambles for a living so I'm sure that's what he's gonna talk to me about.

"Gambling?" I ask him, he winks "Always" he responds.

"Alright, what's the bet on today?" I ask, "Glad ya asked, Pedro's last wages set him back a week, we're all betting on who his car is going to" he explains.

I pull out a $20 and hand it to him, "My bet's on Ken" I say, he winks at me "Damn straight" he says, he claps me on the back before walking off.

I watch as he walks away and notice Connor standing behind me with his arms behind his back, he walks up next to me and stands rather close to me.

I look at how close we are and frown.

"What is your problem?" I ask, "don't you ever do as you're told? You don't have to follow me around like a poodle" I say and look away from him.

"I think our relationship got off on the wrong foot, we should forget what happened, and start over. What do you say?" he says with a warm smile on his face.

"Look, they sent me a piece of plastic for a partner, and I'm dealing with it. But if you think we're gonna be buddies then you're as stupid as you look" I say rather harshly.

"And I also don't appreciate how you talked to me back there, I saved your ass, Tinman, the least I can get is a thank you" I mutter.

I notice Connor eventually look away from me as Leo hands me my coke and burger, "Here you go" he says, "Thanks, Leo. I'm starving" I mutter.

I pick it up and walk over to an open table, "Don't leave that thing here!" he yells to me.

"Huh, not a chance! It follows me everywhere" I laugh, I stand at the table and set my stuff down, Connor walks over and rests his forearms on the table as well.

"See," I say and look at Leo, he chuckles and shakes his head.

I take a bite out of my burger just Connor starts talking.

"This Ricky, he was proposing illegal gambling" Connor whispers.

"Yeah" I nod and then take another bite out of my burger, "And you made a bet?" he questions, I ponder for a moment before nodding again, "Yeah," I say.

Connor looks away confused before returning his attention to my food.

"You didn't pay for your food," he says, "Yeah, um" I clear my throat and set down my burger.