close as strangers

reece's p.o.v
i hung up the call, plugging my phone into charge next to my hotel bed, my head pounding. it's nearly midnight for me, but it's midday for her. it kills me thinking of her on her own. she told me everything had changed for her back home, and her change of heart has worries me, and i'm scared that i might lose her. i've only been away for six weeks but i'd pay any amount of money to be next to her right now.
i tossed and turned under my duvet, the pillow cushioning my head as it landed harshly on it and i cursed. without y/n here i'm lost, the bed feels too big and the sheets are scratchy and uncomfortable.

i fell asleep and dreamt of her, my arms pleading to hold her and my lips begging to kiss her.

~

i woke up early to catch a flight to the next city, putting more miles and another time zone between y/n and i. she called me again in the the airport, it must've been 2am for her. she wouldn't stop telling me that things had changed and that i should prepare for something different when i get back and it makes me wonder if i this is the best it gets. late night calls and forgotten texts that don't mean anything. her voice is telling me she's in it but even from different continents i can feel that her heart isn't in it.

the show that night was enchanting, the bright stage lights shining over my face and illuminating my emotions. i looked over the crowd, smiling and singing, my fingers tapping over the frets and tugging at the strings of my bass. i glanced over at george and blake, our energy radiating off of each other and making me smile even wider. i scanned back over the rows and rows of screaming fans, and found myself wishing that y/n was out there.
you'd be surprised how often it happened.

it gets me thinking if i've been too forward. i know we're running out of time, but she also knows that i'll slow down and wait for her whenever she needs me to. but if that's the case, then why hasn't she told me?
every day she feels further and further away. i don't know how much more we can take.

~~

"reece, please, i miss you so much," y/n cried over the phone, her sniffles and sobs muffling her words, "things keep changing and i don't like it when you're not here with me."
"y/n, shh. it's okay. i knew i shouldn't have come on this stupid writing trip, i knew it was too long,"
"no, you should've, honestly, i know how much it does for the band," the line broke up, making the distance between us seem all the more real, "i hope you know that it's going to be completely different when you get back."
"i know, sweetheart. but tomorrow i come home. it's been six months, baby, and i haven't seen your beautiful face in so long, but i'm coming back to you tomorrow. less than 24 hours and i can hold you again."

i just hoped she believed in my words more than i did.

—————————
yea idrk what this was so i'm gonna call it a peek inside reece's head while he's distanced from his partner, and their heart isn't really in t anymore because the distance is causing them too much pain

enjoy c:

xx