“Yes,” she muttered nodding and picked her head up, rubbing her now red eyes.

“Can I use your bathroom?” she looked at me and her eyes were so innocent.

“In through that there, first door on the left.” I said, pointing in the direction of my bathroom. Part of me wanted to go with her because I didn’t want to be alone with him.

“So, what party are you guys going to?” he asked, and my eyes bulged out in surprise.

“How’d you hear me?”

“You can’t whisper, you might as well have been yelling. And you don’t seem like a party person,” he said, I rolled my eyes as I walked into my room to check on Brooke.

“Just being honest! You don’t seem very...wild,”

“Whatever,”

            The bathroom door was closed but I heard the water running, I knocked on the door gently.

“Hey Brooke, you ok?” I asked, I wondered if she could hear the worry in my voice even though I tried to hide it.

“I’m fine! I’ll be out in a minute!” she yelled, she sounded tired; maybe she wouldn’t want to go after all!

But then I remembered what Hunter had said about me not being a ‘party person’ and even though I wasn’t...for some strange reason I felt the need to prove that I was.

I sat down on my bed and folded my legs while waiting for Brooke; I noticed my black nail polish showing through my almost transparent sock. See this is what entertains me when I’m bored, just as I was about to go check on Brooke she walked out of the bathroom and sat next to me. She sat there and sniffled softly; I put a hand on her back and started to awkwardly soothe her.

            “Do you want to talk about it?” I asked softly, after a few minutes of nothing but her occasional whimpers.

            She nodded, and after a moment sat up tilting up her head and breathing heavily; I was not going to force this out of her.

And then it all came tumbling out.

            “The guy Hunter was talking about…X, he was both of our best friends; and we’d known each other since grade nine. Back when I was a tomboy and before I matured, anyway, when people made fun of me they were always there, but then Hunter started dating other people. I wouldn’t say he forgot about us, I would just say he forgot about me. X on the other hand was always there for me and we started falling for each other. By grade eleven we were together, it was the happiest year of my life. I loved him Paige, “she said and her voice choked as she said love.

            “Take a breath, you need a moment?” I asked, and god I could really feel the pure pain in her voice.

            “No, as I said, I loved him. We wanted to go off to college together, you know start a life. He applied to Harvard and he didn’t think he’d get in but he did. We had this huge argument about how he promised to go with me and I snapped, I told him to go. And that if he did…it would be over,”

Before I knew it, my arms were open and she was sobbing on my shoulder. So this is what it feels like to comfort someone? I liked it. I liked it a lot. It gave me some sort of a purpose.

            After a few moments she sat up and sniffed one last time, looking into my eyes. Her blue ones were happy and completely ecstatic.

            “You’re the loveliest person I’ve ever met, and you know what we do now?” she asked, and by her tone I was slightly frightened.