Chapter 45

I had sprung awake in a different environment. Somewhere I had not known that existed. I had to blink a few times to catch a good site at the unfamiliar scene.

There was a beeping thing beside me, and I glanced at the screen that had lines going up and down. It wouldn't shut up, and my head was throbbing. I tried to sit up in order to gain my surroundings, but I couldn't because of the sharp pain in my leg.

I screamed in agony.. My eyes were watery and squeezed shut to try and reduce the pain from my leg. Once my hand had ran over my thigh, I saw the white bandages with IVs and wires running through my hands and literally everywhere: in my arm, my shoulder, my leg. They looked freaky, like I was connected to electric wires about to be electrocuted.

"Adalynne, what happened? What hurts?" My boyfriend had limped over to my bed. The door had barged open and in came my brother.

The stinging pain had pounded in my leg again and I screamed again.

"My leg," I whimpered. I hissed as tears escaped my eyes harshly. "It hurts!" I squeezed my left thigh to try to make the pain reduce.

"Nurse!" Aiden yelled, looking to the door and then at me. As if she hadn't came fast enough, Aiden quickly ran out the door.

"Squeeze my hand," Baylor placed his hand in mine and I squeezed harshly and possibly painfully.

"Adalynne -"

He was cut off by two doctors rushing in after Aiden. They both had IVs and more tools to help ease the pain in my leg. A cup of water was placed in my other hand and Aiden had eased pills into my mouth. I hustled to swallow the pain killers down my throat. I glanced at Aiden who was watching the doctors like a hawk, worry over his facial features as he fumbled with his fingers. The nurse shot a liquid substance into my leg and it calmed me down a little bit by the side effects. The doctors soon replaced everything back in its place; they told me to just rest and watch TV until I fall asleep.

My hand had been placed by my side, and everyone had vanished from the bed, beside me. I couldn't see over the machines and my vision was still a bit blurry, but I could still see; the drowsiness of the pain killers hasn't worked yet, but I could feel the pain begin to settle in my leg.

"Baylor," I called out, hoping he'd come to me so I could see how he was doing.

He hurried as quickly as he could and hovered over my bed. "Are you okay?" Baylor asked before I did. I looked at Baylor, who had worry written all over his face. He looked very tired and there was dark stubble around his mouth.

"Yes, I'm fine now. How's your leg?" I gazed at the bandage wrapped around his thigh.

"Adalynne, I'm so sorry," he whimpered. He began to cry again and I immediately wanted him to lay with me. I tried to slide over as much as possible so I can make room for him.

I tugged at his shirt since it was the only thing of him that I could reach. "Please lay with me."

He shook his head, "No, I'll end up hurting you and I can't do that."

I frowned, "No you won't. Please lay with me, Baylor," I begged.

He slowly slid in beside me. He snaked his arm around my side and I laid my head on his chest.

"This is all of my fault," he gasped in shock. I placed my hand on his cheek and glanced at him. He had tears falling from his eyes again. My thumb trailed over the apple of his wet cheek.

"It isn't your fault," I demanded.

"Yes it is," he replied back in pain.

"I'm alive," I stated.