Chapter 17

Two weeks went by without speaking to or hearing from Baylor. Every day of those two weeks, I've seen him strolling around school. I've seen him walk around school with a girl every day of the week (I think her name was Morgan or Megan or something like that). I've observed him sitting with his popular, well-known crew at lunch, not bothering to glance at me. Jo has even wondered what happened between the both of us.

Honestly, I had no idea what to tell her except, "We just drifted apart."

All those times I've seen him around and all the times I've seen him pretend as if I've never existed, like I was imaginary or in someone's dreams - has been lonely. Besides Jo and Aiden, well Aiden is either with Jo, really, or at the gym training. Baylor has been the only person that I've grown a liking towards another person, besides Jo.

What did I do? Was it my fault? Was it something I said wrong? Those are the three questions that run through my brain every time I see him; every time I think of him - which was constant. It's kind of . . . bizarre how someone's personality or their presence can affect you. The ones who make you happy and comfortable to be around; the ones you can be yourself around and not being judged by your actions or feelings. You get attached. And that's what almost happened: I almost got attached, and it's only been, what? Three months, at the most? That's absurd - ridiculous.

I only have or had (I guess is what the label for this is) two friends. Yes, that's very ludicrous.

"Hey sis, we're going out. Are you gonna be alright?" my gleefully older brother asked, speaking of himself and my existing best friend, Jo.

Jo had her jacket hanging over her crossed arms, prepared for the chilly season outside. Jo stood behind my brother who was standing at my cracked door, peeking in. Jo held a grin, smiling towards me, which made me smile back and wave.

"Yeah, I'll be okay," I responded.

"Okay, well call me if you need anything. You can call Baylor over if you want," Aiden said.

He doesn't happen to know anything that Jo and I have spoken about. He doesn't know anything about my current situation with Baylor's absence from our place, but Aiden doesn't seem to notice because he still has his head in the clouds, speaking about training with Baylor and being around Jo.

"Okay." With that, Aiden closed my door, and two sets of footsteps were heard travelling down the hallway. I resumed writing down French words that were due tomorrow for Ms. Oakley. These words are too hard for my liking.

"Adalynne, you have company!" I heard my brother yell. Oh, I wonder who that may be.

I heard the front door shut, and another, and the third pair of footsteps journey down the narrow hallway. The Ben Howard music I had been playing in the background didn't overcome the swarming thoughts running in my head. The only person that'd be here would be Baylor.

There was a light tap on the bedroom door, and I answered with a low, steady voice, "Yeah." I had dragons, not butterflies, but dragons in my stomach.

The bedroom door creaked open with the site of the spoken devil: Baylor.

"Long time, no see," Baylor called out firstly, leaving my bedroom door open just a bit where the living room light crept in.

I finished writing my last French word and sat my papers to the side of my bed. The opposite side of my bed dipped down, Baylor sitting on the other side of the bed. I looked over, noticing the small holes around his knees and the rips above his thigh and glanced at Baylor.

"What are you taking? French?" he asked, hovering over my rested body, and grabbing the papers that I wrote the three-dozen French words on. He read over the words, flipping the pages, and studied over the words as if he were studying for exams. Sitting the papers down beside me once he was through, he leaned against my headboard with his arm cradling his head. I didn't look or even glance at him. Everything I knew was from the spy in the corner of my eye. I didn't want to look at him because I was sort of mad to even peer at him.