Chapter 18

After going to multiple stores at the mall, I soon noticed that I was a third wheel along my brother and Jo. I was walking behind them as I watched Aiden and Jo hold hands, whispering different things in each other's ears.

Aiden and I were at the mall for Jo's birthday. He bought her a few outfits and smell goods. He has her spoiled yet they're not even in a relationship. Aiden said he wanted a relationship with Jo, but Jo said she wanted to take things slow to see if Aiden was worth it. I guess Aiden is trying to woo his way with her by spoiling her with extraordinary gifts here and there.

In Forever 21, we were in the accessories section, picking out different items for Jo's outfits that Aiden had already spoiled her with.

"You need a boyfriend." She nudged my shoulder a few times to see if I knew who she was speaking of. I caught on and I rolled my eyes.

"Oh shush, just because I'm a third wheel doesn't mean I have to have a boyfriend. Plus, there's no one in Shady Grove to like." I picked out a cute scarf that was white with navy blue and tied it around Jo's neck.

"There's Baylor," she answered. "I like this scarf." She hung it over her arm.

"I told you I don't date my brother's friends. And I think he has someone he's talking to."

Jo looked at me funny. "Who?"

"I think her name is Megan or Morgan. I mean. . . I don't know if they're talking, but I see them at school together and they look more than friendly to me," I stated.

"I'll just ask Aiden myself. They're close, I'm sure he'd know something." I just huffed.

"Even if they weren't, Baylor is just a friend," I said. I had to keep that in the back of my mind and try to ignore that kiss between Baylor and me.

***

"Aiden!" I smacked his arm, trying to slap the stolen fry from his hand. Jo was bursting into fits of laughter; Aiden was stealing my food from Dairy Queen. I was screaming at him every time he stole a fry from my tray. He had already finished his food at least ten minutes ago and Jo and I were still munching on our ordered food.

"Why don't you get some of Jo's fries, freak?" Aiden was glancing at Jo, smiling at her with a wide grin.

"'Cause she's the birthday girl," he answered coolly.

"So, if I was the birthday girl, you wouldn't steal fries from me?" I asked.

Aiden's hand reached over the table once again for another fry. Treating his hand like a fly, I smacked his large hand into the crimson sauce. His face turned red, Jo's laughter filling our table area.

All the sudden, his hand rammed into my cheek.

"Dammit Aiden, stop!" I nearly screamed. Aiden and Jo were laughing.

I jumped up from my chair and toted my tray to the garbage can. Dumping the wrapper from my burger and cold fries, I sat the tray on top of the trash can. I looked up and noticed at least half a dozen guys in a group with a girl here and there, most of the guys looked the same age as me. The person that deeply stood out was Baylor. He had a blonde girl in his lap - that girl I've seen him around school with before - his arm wrapped around her waist like she was his.

Baylor glanced at me, and my breath hitched in my throat, and I instantly hid behind the post next to me and walked back to Aiden and Jo.

I returned to the table, almost out of breath for how quickly I turned away from the site, and how briefly I walked to the table.

"Woah, you okay sis?" Aiden asked. I nodded, sitting down and listening to the background of the mall.

I placed my elbow on the table that was before me and rested my head on my hand.

I realized something in me stirred by just simply thinking about the view that was recently in front of me. It made anger run through my veins. I have no idea why, because I obviously have not developed a crush on him, but sites like this make my blood boil. Isn't what I told Jo true? That he doesn't date. There I was denying, telling her the "truth" about Baylor. He even said it: it came from his lips. I heard it. I shouldn't be angry or jealous, but simply lying is a bit pathetic. As well as him kissing me. Pathetic. All he tried to do was play with my feelings and emotions.

"Adalynne," my brother waved his hand in front of my face. "We're leaving, c'mon."

I snapped out of my thoughts and stood from the table. I watched as my brother picked up plenty of bags. Jo had only three around her arms. I've honestly never seen Aiden's sweet side for a girl.