Chapter 2

At the local high school I attend, there are little over two-thousand high school students. I am a junior this year, and we're in the beginning of the school year. Rumors spread like the flu around the school: most of them are about recent parties; who hooked up with who last night; physical altercations, and so on. This new student has been at the top of the list for a few days now – his name starts with a B is all I can recall.

"Aiden, hurry up! I'm going to be late for school, you idiot!" I yelled through the apartment. Scurrying was heard from the hallway. I was troubled to tug on my sandals.

"Hold on, I'm trying to find my other shoe! Maybe if you didn't fail your driving test, you wouldn't be late!" he screamed back.

Once I put my sandals on, I walked to the counter with the steaming coffee pot. I poured some coffee in a paper cup and poured some creamer into the black liquid and gave it a stir. I sealed the cap onto the coffee cup and took a sip.

"Okay, let's go." The keys on a keychain jingled together as they chafed together in harmony.

The drive to my school is about ten minutes. We pulled up to the drop-off area, and I grabbed my bag from the backseat of Aiden's car. "Bye sis, love ya," Aiden chirped.

"Bye, I love you too." I climbed out from the passenger seat and shut the door behind me. Aiden's truck pulled out from behind a few cars and sped off like a maniac.

I begin my journey down hallways, left and right turns, and make it down the physics hallway. My first class of the day is just down the hall, and my locker is a few feet away from my class.

I hold one strap in my hand while I rummage through my bag, pulling out books from the night before. I position my English and physics textbook in my locker and hang my bag on the hook that's hanging from the top of my locker. I toted a few folders, a binder, and two textbooks to catch up on some homework.

I bring the paper coffee cup to my lips to take a sip, the cold liquid running down my throat. Gross. I spot the trash bin by a chain of lockers and trail my way to throw it away. Just as I'm about to cut across the hall, my coffee is splattered everywhere - I'm drenched and my books along with papers are everywhere.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. Here, let me help you." A deep Boston accent rang through my ears. I listened to the laughter here and there. I just wanted to scream in frustration.

I slammed my crushed coffee cup to the floor and bent down to pick up my books. A tall and tan, broad-shouldered brunette was stacking my papers that have fallen from my folders. Coffee stains were spread on a few sheets and my textbooks were sprawled out on the floor, untouched. I bent down to pick up both textbooks.

"Adalynne Claire?" the familiar voice spoke. I peered up at the direction his voice spoke from. He was reading over a paper with some work scribbled on the page.

I reached for my papers from the boy and placed them on the heap of books in my arms.

"You're Aiden Claire's little sister, aren't you?"

I looked at him again. He had a brown-hazel tint to his eyes and full, pink lips with chiseled cheek bones. He was handsome, if I may add, and super tall with a confident posture.

I nodded in response. "I'm his good friend, Baylor. Baylor Parker." The name rang a bell, and it dawned on me that Aiden mentioned his name yesterday.

I arched an eyebrow at the initiating human being that I've by no means witnessed around here. "I'm new here... it's nice to meet you - again." He held out his hand for me to shake it. I ignored it. I brushed past him instead and started my walk towards the bathroom.

"Thanks for helping. Now I have to call home to get a change of clothes."

***

At lunch, I sit with no one. I wasn't that much of a social butterfly, and quite frankly, I enjoyed my loneliness in a school full of people.

I plug in my white earphones and tone out the world around me. I take a bite of my apple, and while I'm listening to Free Falling by John Mayer, a whistle disrupts my music, signaling that I have a text.

Aiden: No more mistakes? I'm out grocery shopping so if you need any more clothes, you're S.O.L.

Me: No.

I sent the message and resumed my music.

Aiden: ok and just letting you know Baylor is coming over and having game night with me. Gotta catch up with the guy. Guess you're on your own tonight sis.

Me: I'll be alright. And by the way, you could have told me he'd be attending. I've never met him before... which is very weird considering you two are friends...?

I shoved my plate farther away from me and decided to rest a little by playing Temple Run. I was up to two thousand already, and a tap on the shoulder made my little character run into a tree. I pulled out my earphones to hear the person speaking to me.

"What's Aiden doing tonight?" Nicole asked me. Nicole was one of my brother's obsessive ex-fling.

I just huffed.

"Tell Aiden to give me a call." She twirled around, and when she did, her purse knocked the open water bottle into my lap.

As I began my journey down to the bathroom, I threw my long, wet hair into a messy bun.

I reached the girls' bathroom and walked to the body-length mirror. I peered over my outfit. I looked like I peed on myself.

I was officially done with today. I slide my fingers into my pocket and grab my phone to dial Aiden's number. I listened to the dialing call until I heard my brother's familiar voice answer into the phone with a "Hello?"

"Hey, can you come pick me up? I had water dumped on me right after I stopped texting you."

"It'll be about ten minutes."

"Okay, I'll just wait in the bathroom until you get here."

"Okay."

I hung up and slid down the wall of the bathroom. As I begin scrolling through my social media, a loud commotion echoes into the bathroom from the hallway.

"Baylor Parker! You're back."

I couldn't really hear the remainder of the conversation. I knew that he and the other guy he was conversing with were right outside the bathroom area.

My phone began ringing. It was Aiden telling me he was here to pick me up.

I stood from the floor and threw my bag over my shoulder. I walked out of the bathroom and spotted two guys standing across the hall by a set of lockers. I locked eyes with a guy by the name of Lane, who smiled when we made eye contact. I looked at Baylor and proceeded to walk down the hallway.

I reached my brother's car where he was waiting.

"What'd you do, pee on yourself?" Aiden laughed.