Prologue

A Month After Jaehwan's Kidnapping:

Tuesday, The Cells, 6 pm, Baekhyun's POV:

- Having just finished a very nice dinner with Hunnie, you were getting ready to institute phase two of your plan for your present.

- That idiot guard being here made Hunnie happy enough already, and your king had been enjoying slowly trying to cut information out of him day by day. But you had thought of another use for Jaehwan, if he would ever give up and break, that is.

- "Hyukkie, are you ready to talk to him now?" you asked, tilting your head a little to the side as you waited for your friend's response.

- Technically, Hyukkie, or Lord Sanghyuk, was Hunnie's real spymaster, and had about three times as many agents as you. He was a lord as well so the two of you were of equal rank, and he was one of the few nobles who wasn't one of Hunnie's relatives. He had also been the person who helped you orchestrate Jaehwan's kidnapping in the first place.

- "I'm always ready, this may take a while though so don't hold your breath for immediate compliance. I want to get inside his head," Hyuk replied lazily, unfolding his long legs and stretching like a cat.

- "I've seen you break harder people than him in minutes!" you exclaimed, frustrated by his nonchalance.

- "True, but that's no fun. There's no skill to it. I want to take my time with this one," he replied, fixing you with that predatory stare which always made you feel a bit uneasy.

- You liked Hyuk a lot, and considered him a close friend, but he was still scary as all hell sometimes. "Fine," you sighed, reaching out a hand to lead him to Jaehwan's cell.

- He ignored your hand and walked right past you, moving with such fluid grace that the hairs on the back of your neck stood up. Hyukkie and Hunnie had clearly been trained to fight by the same person, their styles mirrored each other perfectly.

- You were no slouch when it came to combat, and certainly knew your way around a blade, but they were on a whole other level. You followed Hyuk down the hall and stood behind him as he unlocked the white door of Jaehwan's cell.

- "I brought you a visitor," you called as the door swung open. Jaehwan was lying on the floor, his hands folded behind his head and ankles crossed.

- "Lovely," he replied, not looking away from the ceiling as you followed Hyuk inside. "Stand up, I'm taking you to your new room," Hyuk said smoothly, catching you completely off guard.

- That wasn't part of the plan! "No! Hunnie will never allow it," you exclaimed, just as Jaehwan replied, "I'm fine here, thanks."

- Hyuk shot you a glare for half a second, before kneeling down and brushing Jaehwan's bangs off his forehead. You had no clue what he was doing but decided to stay out of it and let the 'master manipulator' do his thing.

- Jaehwan looked as surprised as you felt, but Hyuk's expression softened and he said, "Don't argue," before standing and pulling Jaehwan up by the hair.

- They stood eye to eye, and the guard's shouting was cut short when Hyuk gave him that lazar stare. His hand was still in Jaehwan's hair as he asked quietly, "What did I just say?"

- "I don't give a shit! I'm not going anywhere, aside from home! Who are you anyway, fucking weirdo?!" Jaehwan exclaimed, neatly extricating himself from Hyuk's grip and pressing his back to the wall opposite you.

- "I'm the devil, now stop arguing," Hyuk replied, still using that's soft tone and thoroughly freaking you out. You didn't bother trying to stop him as he picked Jaehwan up and carried him, kicking and screaming, out of the cell.