Chapter Eleven

Chapter 11:

~Merlin (past)~

                I watched as Gaius began to treat her. She was laying on my bed and was probably going to be there for some time. Morgana wanted Cara in her chambers, but Gaius wanted her near so he could treat her if something changed.

                “Merlin!” he said at one point looking up at me. “Stop pacing and go get me some fresh water.”

                I nodded and slowly left the room. It gave me a chance to clear my head.

                Why was Cara in the woods? Why did she have a sword? Why was she in men clothing? Why was she attacked by that creature? A Griffin I heard her say: a magical creature with the body of a lion and the head, claws, and wings of an eagle. There were three long, deep scars on the side of her abdomen. A few hours after she was brought to the castle a fever broke out. It was now the middle of the night and the fever had yet to break.

                After getting the water, I headed back to my chamber.

                When I walked in my room, I quickly turned away. Cara’s top was now off and a sheet covered her chest, but there was still a lot of skin showing. Her skin looked so smooth. I quickly shook my trying not to think about it.

                “I got the water,” I said looking at Gaius.

                “Sit it by my feet,” he told me.

                I did as he said then went back to watching, but this time I tried not to pace. She was so still and pale. Her forehead covered in sweat, and a few times I stepped forwarded to wiped it off with a cloth. Gaius was working on sewing up the cuts and putting some paste on them to make sure they did not get infected. The sewing took a long time. There seemed to be some skin missing and Gaius was trying to also make sure her insides were not damaged.

                A few hours after I got the water, Gaius stepped back.

                “Okay, that is all I can do for now. We will have to wait to see how she reacts,” he told me. “For now we sleep.”

                I nodded and Gaius covered Cara with a blanket to her neck. He then patted me on the back and left the room to go to bed. A few minutes later I heard him snoring.

                I found myself staring at her closed eyes and unnaturally color of her face. “I’m sorry Cara,” I told her as I sat down on a stool next to the bed. “I told Ewing I was going to watch over you, but I was unable to help you. Why were you in the woods anyway?”

                “I was going for a walk.”

                I looked up to see Cara smiling a little. Her eyes were half open and her voice was extremely weak.

                “I see I’m still alive,” she said.

                “How are you feeling?” I asked.

                She made a face. “Like someone cut open my side.”

                “Well, your side was cut open. Gaius said that none of your insides were hurt. He sewed you up so you should be fine.”

                That beautiful smile spread across her face. “I’m sure I will.”

                “Cara, you should be more careful.”