Chapter One

I closed my eyes. A memory from many years ago was burning in the back of my mind. I haven’t seen him in so long yet my feelings for him never faltered, and now I had to kill him, in cold blood.

                In the dark forest I waited for him to show. He had to. There was no way he could not come after the threat I had given. If he was not to show he would die anyway and not just him. I heard movement, and gripped my sword tighter and snapped my eyes open. Then out of the thick woods into the clearing before me, he walked. In the moonlight I saw his face confirming it was in fact my target. This was the end of the great Merlin.

              Our first meeting suddenly played though my head with no warning. How had I come to this after that day?

Chapter 1:

                “And you are sure I cannot talk you out of this?” I asked.

                “No, my dear, I am sorry,” Ewing told me. “I am a knight, this is what I do.”

                “I thought you protected Camelot. I did not know it was a knight’s job to fight in a tournament,” I teased.

                Ewing shook his head with a smile. “Oh Cara, come on we need to get back to the castle.”

                The two of us had gone on a horse ride together. Just a slow one around the woods near the castle in Camelot, but sadly Ewing had to get back to the castle to prepare for the tournament. Plus there was one of those formal dinners we have to go through.

                “Okay, race you,” I laughed and went into a full loop.

                “Cara,” Ewing yelled after me. He, of course being trained on a horse catch up to me with no problem. “Cara it’s pointless,” he said riding next to me. “I am faster than you.”

                I slowed down and he did next to me. We rode in silence for a while. Once the castle was in sight and we were only a few minutes from the stables I spoke again.

                “You are right of course,” I sighed. “You are faster than me.”

                He smiled. “Yes I am, now we have to go meet the other people who I have to beat.” Ewing then slide off his horse, got the reins in hand and stood next to mine, ready to help me down.

                I laughed. “So cocky, milord. How are you sure you are to beat these men?”

                “Because I know my strengths, my love,” he said back with a smile.

                “Your love, huh? You have never called me that before,” I said as I slide down the horse.

                Ewing caught me, not letting my feet, but suspending my in the air. I placed my hands on his shoulders to keep myself balanced in the air. I was very short, so honestly he did not have to hold me that high for my feet to not be on the ground.

“No I have not, but it is true. You are my one and only love,” he whispered. He lowered me so my feet were on the ground, but did not let go of me. “Cara Whisper Zincky I love you with all my heart and you are to be my wife. Nothing could make me happier. After this tournament will you marry me? I have already talked to the king and Arthur and they have agreed to hold the wedding here the day after the tournament is over.”