Chapter 25 - Time to Repent

Erin dashed through the keep, dodging people and ignoring the mumbles of confusion and panic. Liam wasn't anywhere so Erin headed to the one place she knew he would claim sanctuary. Up the stairs she ran, finding it much easier to run in pants than the dresses she had been wearing here. Her hair was coming loose with rogue strands flying behind, surely making her look crazed.

Finally she reached Liam's bedchamber door. Lifting her fist, Erin forced a few deep breaths then knocked softly. A crashing sound made her worry he had gotten hurt so she shoved open the heavy oak door without an invitation. She found Liam crouched on the floor leaning on the side of his bed with his face buried in his hands.

She did this.

She still broke his heart even though that was the very thing she was trying not to do. Erin quietly closed the door behind her then softly padded across the room to squat into a kneel in front of him. That's when she saw the empty jug of ale beside his hip. The pungent odor of the strong brew filled the area around him.

He was drunk.

"Liam," Erin started, reaching out for his hand, touching it gently.

He looked up quickly those jade eyes going wide. "Erin?"

"Yeah, it's me," She smiled warmly earning a lazy, lopsided smile.

What was once a light layer of stubble on his chiseled face was now thicker, more like the beginnings of an untamed beard. It made him appear more rugged than usual, only adding to his handsomeness. How she had missed him yet it had barely been two days.

"Why did you come back?" Liam asked as he sat up to sit on the bed, gently tugging Erin to come with him.

"It was actually Rory," She shrugged, scooting up closer to him between his strong legs. "He talked some sense into me and offered to escort us back. Then we heard Kennedy with Alice, my maid while we were at the castle. He is after you I think to kill you...to get to me."

"And...you came to warn me?" Liam asked, partially amused and partially very happy.

"Yes."

"Why?"

Erin licked her lips and swallowed, letting her eyes flick to Liam's lips before answering. "Isn't it obvious?"

He shook his head. "No."

She sighed then answered, "I do care for you."

"Then why did you lie to me?" Liam shifted to be facing Erin more.

"I...didn't lie to you," Erin replied, her brows furrowed. "I said I can't lie and say I don't care for you. I said I didn't want to marry you and then disappear back to my time leaving you heartbroken. It seems that is still what happened."

"So what now?" Liam was still stiff and defensive. Erin noticed. She had to get him to relax.

Then she began to sing from another favorite musical to express what was on her heart. No IPod, no orchestra, just her, raw and honest.

"Kiss me too fiercely, hold me too tight

I need help believing, you're with me tonight.

My wildest dreamings could not foresee

Lying beside you with you wanting me

Just for this moment, as long as you're mine

I've lost all resistance and crossed some borderline

And if it turns out

It's over too fast, I'll make every last moment last

As long as you're mine"