Chapter 14 - Time to Court

"Where are you going, Mommy?" Ashlynn asked as Erin laid out the dress she would so change into.

Swallowing hard, Erin turned toward her ever inquisitive daughter. "I'm uh...meeting Liam in the garden to...talk."

"Yes!" She squealed, clapping excitedly to which Erin's brows rose in surprise. "I'm sleepy, Mommy. Will you please tuck me, please?"

Without any argument, Ashlynn scurried off Erin's bed, out the door, down the hall and into her own room. Before Erin could make it behind her, Ashlynn was dutifully beneath the covers.

Erin didn't dare argue with Katherine and was grateful for Ashlynn's cooperation and blessing. Now back in her own room, Erin pulled back the sides of her hair, braiding them down the center of her loose locks. The dress was breathtaking. In a baby blue, it had a deep v-neck, open draped sleeves, soft airy skirts that were open on each side to show the white layer underneath. A soft, corded leather belt wrapped around her waist, draping down her hip.

As the keep settled down for the night, servants were the only ones up to finish their daily chores. Erin quietly made her way toward the garden where she worked every morning. A path of candles set on the ground every few feet led her beyond, through ivy covered iron gates she hadn't noticed before.

Tiptoeing carefully around the candles, Erin bit her lower lip, fighting the urge to break out into a run to see where this led. The path was unfamiliar appearing to be a labyrinth style garden. Large shrubs framed the path growing higher and higher until they loomed far above Erin's height. Even in the darkness, she saw several alcoves revealing different flowering bushes. With each turn, Erin's heart beat faster but her smile grew wider hoping to find Liam soon. This was quite an exciting adventure the lord of the keep concocted.

Finally, Erin rounded the last turn to find the very center of the shrubbery maze but it opened up to a vast, vibrantly blooming flower garden. Standing with his broad, strong back facing her, hands clasped at his front, gazing out at the garden was Liam clad in a dark mantle, dark pants that hugged his formidable figure. Erin felt her heart skip. She slowed her pace, walking toward him measuredly but excitement growing in her belly.

Liam heard her soft footsteps, finally turning around. The smile that spread across his face drew a matching one on Erin's. His eyes trailed down briefly, taking in her dress and how the moonlight framed her in an ethereal glow bathing around her.

"Erin, you look lovely," He complimented, now standing fully to face her.

"You look quite handsome yourself," she flirted right back.

He really did though. In a clean white tunic, brown leather breeches and his boots. His hair was pulled back neatly into a ponytail so she could see all of his handsome, strong features. She could see just how muscular he was even in the moonlight. The glow of light filtered through the white tunic showcasing the outline of his muscular frame. All that training really did him good.

"Walk with me?" he asked quietly, holding out his hand for her.

She nodded acceptance, unwaveringly placing her hand in his. He began walking her through the rows of flowers as they talked.

"This was my mother's garden," he explained, gesturing out at the blooms around them. "Not many come here, but I often do."

"It's beautiful, Liam," Erin replied, glancing around in appreciation of the beauty. The light breeze blessed her nostrils with aromas of roses, lavender and many aromatic herbs. "I love gardens."

The smile he gave warmed her soul. "I am glad you like it."

They strolled in silence, Erin not knowing what to say. Liam had initiated this meeting as an opportunity to explain a few things. So Erin patiently let him have time to gather his thoughts. The silence wasn't in any way uncomfortable, merely heavy, thick with unspoken words. When they reached the very center of the garden, Liam led Erin to a bench, gently guiding her down to sit beside him. He shifted his body, bending one leg in front across the bench so he faced her. Erin did the same, glancing down at their hands that were still held together.