Chapter 12 - Time to Hint

I left you all in quite an emotionally, stressful lurch with the last chapter lol  Here's some happiness to heal you! :)

At some point, Liam also fell asleep nestled behind Erin, her back pressed to his chest. The warmth of having someone in his arms eased him to sleep. It couldn't have been long but it was enough. Ashlynn came sneaking in, probably hoping to wake her mom. When she saw Liam, she stopped, smiled and clambered onto the bed, laying directly on top of his side, little legs straddling his hip.

"Do you like my Momma?" she asked, quite bluntly.

Cheek propped on his palm, Liam peered drowsily at Ashlynn then down at Erin. A small smile tugged at the corners of his lips. Gently he slid some rebellious hairs away from her peacefully sleeping face.

Holding Ashlynn's expectant, beaming gaze, he answered honestly, "I care about her very much, I think, Little One."

"It's simple," She spouted dryly, waving a hand. "You either have the warmies or you don't. So which is it?"

Liam blinked a few times at the girl. "The...warmies?"

"Mhmm! You know! When you see Mommy walk into a room, does your tummy feel like someone is tickling it?"

A blush crept to his cheeks. "Y-yes...is that..."

"The warmies?" Ashlynn finished for him. "Yup."

"That does happen, lass," Liam confessed, cupping this sweet girls cheek. Her spiritedness reminded him so much of his Orla.

"Mommy says that happens before you have a crush. Friends first, then the warmies, next is a crush, then you date which leads to loooooove." She giggled, especially on the last word.

Liam chuckled too, then rubbed the beard on his chin. "I'd like to think your momma and I are already friends."

"Then kiss her awake." Ashlynn grinned and wiggled off his hip excitedly to kneel at the foot of the bed. Liam couldn't help but smile back.

"That wouldn't be proper, Ashlynn," he scolded playfully. "'Tis not respectful to kiss without permission." That's how his father raised him to be and what Connor had been taught as well.

"Then what can we do?" Ashlynn tapped her chin deep in thought.

"Well, Little one," Liam sighed. "How would you suggest I go from warmies to crush with your momma?"

Ashlynn clapped her hands quietly then grabbed Liam's hand as she got off the bed tugging him to sit up. "Momma LOVES flowers!"

****

Erin woke up alone in bed disappointed Liam was gone, the space he once occupied now cold. Something probably came up that needed his attention. She was throbbing with soreness between her legs and all the way down but not for pleasant reasons. Unsatisfied. Not that she wanted any from the situation or person giving it. She felt dirty from Kennedy's assault. Bridget had not returned since this morning but another maid must have come in with the things Erin needed for a bath. That was exactly what she needed right now.

Mercilessly she scrubbed every part of her body, trying to get rid of the grimy feeling left by her assailant. She noticed a few bruises on her legs, thighs and arms already showing. Long sleeves for a few days.

As Erin was stepping out and drying off, she heard whispering voices outside her door. Quickly, she finished drying and got dressed. Erin had just sat on the bed to finish drying and combing her fingers through her hair when Ashlynn came bounding.

"Hi Momma!" Ashlynn ran to embrace her.

"Hi, sweetie." That face never ceased to make Erin feel better. "What do you have?" Ashlynn was holding a small bundle of flowers with a ribbon tied around the stems.