Chapter 9- Quirkless Fights

"Where you must attack 'villains' and save up to a maximum of 25 civilians without any usage of power."

"Alright! Now there you have it my dear listeners! Exit through Door A to get to the grounds!"

"Huh?" You jolted upright, and realized in horror that you snoozed off during Present Mic's explanation of the next exam, "Oh shit! Shoot, shoot, shoot!"

You scrambled around, climbing over the seats the get to the exit. You saw Amara's head in the crowd and practically jumped her, begging her to let you know what was happening.

"You have a right to be concerned! We have to do a quirkless fight! I've never done anything quirkless!" She was equally freaked out.

As those words settled into your thick skull, you calmed, "Oh? Heh, and here I was panicking over nothing."

"Nothing?!?!" She stopped hyperventilating and looked at you.

"Sure. Don't tell me you never learned how to fight without your quirk right?" You said teasingly.

"S-shut up!" She stammered, "I didn't realize that it'd be this important!"

Sensing that she was actually distressed, you placed a hand on her shoulder and gave her an encouraging smile, "Don't worry. We can just stick together and work as a team. I'll protect you."

Hopefully..., you thought.

A couple minutes later, everyone had been scattered throughout the site when an alarm sounded off. The whole city began to crumble, and shouts of fear could be faintly heard over the noise.

As soon as the dust settled, you and Amara began to look for any people in need of help.

"Ugh! Please help! My leg, I can't feel it!" A voice yelled out in agony and you both rushed over to the site.

A person was stuck underneath a pile of rubble so you and Amara worked together to lift the debris and get them out. It was clearly very difficult for Amara and she even expressed how different it would have been if quirk usage had been allowed.

"It's fine. Japan doesn't allow quirk usage in public anyway so just pretend that we're outside and this major disaster happened elsewhere." You tried being helpful which earned you a small smile in return.

"Yeah, you're right." She said as you managed to lift the last piece and set the victim free.

"Thank you!" They chirped before running off.

The process repeated itself as you came across multiple different scenarios including a street gang that 'had been taking advantage of the situation and robbing stores' and a mother whose baby managed to get wrapped in electrical wires. The last one made you seriously question the sanity of whoever came up with this idea.

(Somewhere in the school, Principal Nezu cackled evilly as lightning flashed behind him. )

You both eventually managed to save 50 civilians, which was just the amount needed for both of you to pass, but just barely. As Present Mic finally ended the time, you had just finished freeing your last civilian. You were a little worried since you barely made the requirement of 25 people and you really hoped that points wouldn't be taken off for working together. You also knew that the civilians you and Amara saved were pretty much all at an easier level than what you had seen. Sure you didn't care too much about getting into U.A before, but once the idea of competing for a spot really sunk in, you reeeaaaaalllllllyyyyyy wanted to win.

Suddenly a very familiar woman came by.

"Hello again dearie," she smiled before giving you some candy, "You seem to be doing well!"

"Uh, thank you? But it wasn't just me, Amara helped a lot too." You said with a smile.

Hmmm, she's giving others credit... Another good trademark for a true hero. Recovery Girl thought to herself.

After congratulating and handing Amara some candy as well, Recovery Girl walked away to attend to others.

You walked over to your partner and held up a fist, "Hey we make a pretty good team, no?"

"Yeah we do," Amara grinned at you, knocking your hands together.

"Hey do you know where Alex and Hitu are?" She questioned, glancing around.

"AMARAAAAAAA! (Y/NNNNNNNNN)!" Two voices and two bodies came hurling towards us.

"You guys are aliveeeeeee!" Alex said, giving us a tight hug before backing off quickly, "Not that I, uh, care or anything."

"What do you mean, Alex? You were bawling about how you thought Amara and (y/n) were dead..." Hitu said innocently.

You burst out laughing at this which caused a flustered Alex to point towards the exit, "Oh look! Convenience! They're calling us in!"

After a couple more laughs, you all began exchanging stories as you started to head back towards the stadium.

I reaallllly hope I get in. Maybe if I'm lucky, everyone else will be as nice as these people, except for Alex. I definitely don't need another one of him in my life. You chuckled to yourself before deciding to pay attention to what Present Mic was going to say.