Chapter 10

At break, Hunk came with me to meet Keith... just in case. I wouldn't shut up the entire way, voicing all my worries and hopes aloud to my poor friend who didn't even seem to care much. I was walking subconsciously fast because I just wanted to get there. I just wanted to see Keith's (presumably) adorable face. I just wanted to wrap my arms around him and thank him for everything he had done for me.

When I turned the corner to see the mullet-haired boy leaning up against the wall of the science block, I thought I was going to pass out. Hunk took hold of my arm and squeezed to let him know he was there for me. "Red- no, no Keith!" I yelled, my entire face lighting up as he walked in my direction.

He was even more pretty and adorable than I imagined. He definitely did have a mullet but it suited him a surprising amount. His eyes were a dark blue colour and his nose was on the small side. He was wearing a large, black hoodie and skinny jeans because of course he was the emo kid. I had seen him in the common room a couple of times but never spared him a second glance. All that time I could have been staring at him... I rapidly shook my head to myself, ignoring the weird looks I got from Keith and Hunk.

"I don't want him here," Keith's eyes became thin as he stared in Hunk's general direction. Hunk appeared offended but did leave with a small wave aimed at me. Then I was left with my internet friend and it just felt surreal. Even when Keith looked like he wanted to punch me, I was ecstatic to be around him. "So... where are they then?"

"Where are what?" I said, confused. My eyebrows were furrowed as he shoved me up against the brick wall. My head hit the material and things spun for a few seconds. I blinked rapidly and everything soon settled. I met his eyes. I still found them gorgeous, even if the look in them was murderous.

"The insults. The threats. The 'you're so gullible' and 'you have a gay blog, that's so stupid'. Come on, I dare you." He practically spat the words out as if they were venom.

"Keith... I don't- I want-" He cut me off by grabbing the collar of my shirt. For a moment, I had to remind myself that it was RedLion2000, my best internet friend. He couldn't hurt me. We had been through some serious stuff together and he cared about me. Despite these thoughts, I scrunched my eyes shut and waited to be hit or something.

"I swear, if you've told anyone about my blog-"

"I haven't! I swear! The only person I've talked to you about is to Hunk but I never mentioned the blog. Can you just... let me speak and let go of me?"

Keith let out a loud huff, letting go of my shirt and backing up. "I never lied about anything. I want to be your friend, I- I promise. I didn't know you went to my school and I didn't know people hurt you or whatever. I just happened to need to vent to somebody and you were there for me. Then we became friends- real friends. You can trust me."

"Oh yeah?" His strong demeanour had fallen drastically and the hands that were once clenched into fists were just hanging limply by his side. His eyes were sparkling and that may have been because he was about to cry or because of the sunlight. My bets were on the light.

"Yes, Red."

"My name's Keith."

"I know but you'll always be Red to me. No matter what."

Keith bit his lip, his mullet flying about in the wind. I decided to step forward and wrap my arms around him, closing my eyes as I buried my head into his shoulder. He didn't smell of anything in particular but somehow he still smelt beautiful. "I'm sorry I've been such a dick to you. I just- I don't trust people these days. All people do is hurt me." His voice cracked and I was desperate to embrace him again but that wasn't socially acceptable.

"I know," I said instead. "People suck."

"I'm glad we can agree on that."

"Come sit with me?" Keith nodded and a grin broke out on my face. I walked him to the bench my friends were sat at and both of them turned to stare at me and Keith. On the way there, I had told him a bit about Pidge and Hunk. I described Pidge as "a tiny genius who could insult you with just one look" and Hunk as "a loveable gummy bear that you couldn't help but fall in love with". I'm sure Keith could easily match the descriptions to their faces.

Keith just stared down at his lap whilst I introduced him. Hunk looked rather bashful but Pidge was quick to hold out a hand for Keith to shake. Keith awkwardly shook it but continued to avoid their gaze beneath their large glasses. "This is Pidge and this is Hunk."

Keith waved a little and it was the cutest thing I had ever seen on the planet. He was so awkward but somehow it was more adorable than annoying. I don't know if it was conscious but he then slid over in his seat so our thighs were touching. My heart skipped a beat.

Keith didn't like being the centre of attention and that was clear in the way he just kept his gaze fixed downwards. Hunk and Pidge must have noticed too because they then lapsed into an argument about what anime was the best. Keith watched them curiously, probably having his own opinion that may or may not have been the same as Hunk's or Pidge's. I had my head balanced on my hands and wasn't paying attention to the argument in the slightest.

I was discreetly staring at Keith. He really was beautiful. He had the odd freckle on his face and a tiny scar on the bottom of his left cheek. I wondered what he had gotten it from, deciding it was probably from doing something cool like handling a sword. I could see Keith holding onto a long sword with his large hands, fighting bad guys.

Something hit my shoulder and I muttered a small, "ouch". I realised it was a chocolate bar that had hit me (it had fallen onto the table) and glared at Pidge who had obviously thrown it, considering the wicked grin on their face. I sent them a thin eyed glare whilst Hunk and Pidge laughed loudly and Keith exhaled air through his nose (which was close enough to a laugh). What did his full on laughter sound like? He had said he was quiet before but I was sure I could make him laugh at a loud volume. I bet his laugh was as cute as his personality and appearance.

Next period rolled around much faster than I wanted it to. Then I was having to wave goodbye to Keith and leave for my lesson. I couldn't wait to see him again.