Chapter 4

I couldn't hide from my geography teacher forever as much as I tried. Even though I attempted to rush out of class before she could see me, I failed. That was how I ended up standing in front of her again, a scowl on my face. "Lance, I think you need to consider talking to your parents about this. Being diagnosed could really benefit you." Her voice was so soft and I hated it. It was all pity and I didn't want that.

"I don't think I should. My parents won't take it well..."

"Why not?" That pitied look made me want to yell at her for assuming the worst and seeing me as weak. It made me want to prove my strength and smile, telling her that everything was entirely fine. It made me want to tell her to mind her own business and leave me alone. Instead, I replied in a quiet, timid voice.

"I don't know. They just... won't."

"I saw your report, Lance. You aren't doing well in any of your classes. This is a serious issue."

"I know!" I pressed a hand into my temple, taking a deep breath to calm me down. I didn't want to shout because that would just make it look like something really was wrong. Nothing was wrong. Nothing much, at least. When I started to speak again, I was slightly calmer. "I'm such a failure and people won't stop reminding me..." My jaw was tense as tears collected in my eyes. I fought them with excessive blinking but they didn't want to go away.

"Lance... you aren't a failure."

"Yes, I am. I failed all my subjects and I'm just so stupid."

"You aren't. I just don't think you are getting the help you need."

"Fine," I ended up muttering after a few moments of silence. I decided that finding out if I had ADHD might help me find methods of improving my concentration and potentially raising my grades to avoid a repeat of my last report. "Just... do it. Call my parents in for a meeting."

"If they agree, you'd get referred to somebody who could assess you properly and then, if they believe you may have ADHD, they'll be able to refer you to a psychiatrist to find the appropriate therapy or medication."

"Sounds like fun." The sarcasm was obvious but I saw a smile flicker on my teacher's face.

"Yeah. I know it sucks now but things will get better, alright? And your parents shouldn't hate you for this."

"I know... I need to get to my next class."

She nodded, reaching for a piece of paper that was sat on her desk. She jotted something down before handing it over to me. "Give this to your teacher just so they know you were with me and not bunking."

"Thank you."

-

"How come you were so late?" Hunk questioned, leaning over the desk so that I could hear him properly. I shrugged but my leg was bouncing beneath the table- a sign of my nerves. Hunk frowned, glancing quickly at the teacher to ensure he wasn't watching before mumbling, "Is something going on? You've been acting weird."

"Nothing's going on. My teacher just kept me behind because I'm failing."

"Oh, that sucks, man."

"Yeah-"

"Lance! Hunk! Be quiet!" Our heads snapped up to face the teacher who was glaring in our direction. We both hastily apologised before returning to writing out our notes. My mind kept wandering to the conversation I had had with my geography teacher and it was making me feel kind of queasy.

-

"Did you guys get your reports yesterday?" Pidge asked, taking a bite of the sandwich they were holding in their left hand and writing something with their right. They really were a master of multi-tasking. It was almost scary.

"Yep," Hunk didn't seem too bothered by their question but I just glanced down at the table and stayed quiet. My leg was bouncing up and down under the table again but they were yet to notice my nerves. "Let me guess... all As?"

"Of course!" Pidge flashed a wide grin that showed off their perfectly white teeth.

"I got two Bs and an A. Not too bad in my opinion... What about you, Lance?"

"Wait, wait. I think I can guess! You failed everything. As usual."

"How'd you know?" I gasped, as if I was surprised about their little faith in me. I wasn't surprised at all.

"You're such a failure, Lance," The words echoed around my brain as I let out the fakest laugh in the world. "It's because you daydream so much." I tried to see it as a joke but I couldn't. My stomach dropped as one word repeated in my head like it was about to go out of fashion: failure.

-

Sharpshooter01: Can you talk?

RedLion2000: Is everything alright?

Sharpshooter01: My parents are going to hate me so much

RedLion2000: How come?

Sharpshooter01: I finally agreed to let my teacher speak to my parents about my potential ADHD

RedLion2000: That's not so bad?

Sharpshooter01: Considering how badly they reacted to my shitty report card, it is so bad.

RedLion2000: I'm here if you need me, okay? Please stay safe

Sharpshooter01: This might be the last time we talk for a while...

RedLion2000: How come?

Sharpshooter01: They're going to kill me haha

RedLion2000: Don't say that

Sharpshooter01: Sorry but I need to go

RedLion2000: Please don't go

Sharpshooter01: I have to. My dad wants to talk to me (and probably remind me of how stupid and useless I am).

RedLion2000: Talk later?

Sharpshooter01: Maybe