Jasper Whitlock

The Past Catching Up
"Jasper, please, don't do this," she begged, grabbing his arm. "Don't leave me. Don't leave us."
"Marilyn. . ." the young man looked at her sadly and conflicted. "You know it's too late. . ."
"But -"
"I promise to come back to you as soon as possible," he bowed, grabbing her hands in his tightly. "I promise as soon as this war ends, I will come back and live with you fully as a family."
"You promise?" she whispered defeated. He pressed his lips to her forehead tenderly.
"I promise," he vowed. "Besides, I only just got you after chasing after you for years, I'm not going to leave you any time soon." He smirked. Marilyn tilted her head back in laughter, Jasper smiling at the young woman before him in awe. It was true with what he said; they were young teens when they met for the first time. Jasper saw her in town looking beautiful as ever, and he fell for instantly. He introduced himself to her only for her to lead him on much to both of their amusement as it was quite obvious she had taking a liking to him as well.
It wasn't until they grew older did the two realise the true love they had, and Jasper became serious and worked hard to get her Father's approval which he got in the end. And so, the two got married at the age of eighteen, only a year later to get separated when Jasper decided to go into the Civil War.
When it came for the day for Jasper to leave, the newlyweds were in an embrace they were reluctant to get out of. They could hear his horse neighing outside their home, waiting for his owner.
"I love you. . ." Marilyn whispered to him. Jasper closed his eyes, burying his face in his wife's neck. He could almost feel the love she had for him.
"As I love you, my darlin'," Jasper replied, pulling away when there was a cry from upstairs. "That must be the little one wanting to say goodbye."
"Or telling you to not go." Marilyn smiled weakly. The two went upstairs in their home to a bedroom where residing in a cot was their firstborn child, Jasper Whitlock Junior.
"Hey, little man!" Jasper cooed, lifting the crying infant into his arms. "There's a good little boy. . ." Jasper Junior calmed down as soon as he heard his father's voice, looking up at him with a pout. The parents melted at the sight. "You be a good boy for your Mama, okay?" Jasper told the infant lightly. "You're the man of the house until I come back." Marilyn cleared her throat. "Of course your Mama is the proper man of the house - woman of the house. No one messes with her."
"You got that right," Marilyn smirked. A knock on their door tore them from their small banter, reality settling in. It was time for Jasper to go.
"I love you two," Jasper said when they were outside, already on his horse. "I'll see you two soon. I'll wait for your letters."
"I love you," Marilyn said sadly, holding Jasper Junior to her chest. "I'll send you letters and updates on Junior's growth."
"I'll be back, I promise." was the last thing he told her and his son before he went to war, never coming back.

***

Years later...
She looked out the window absently, her mind far away from the present. Everyone around her knew the reason why she no longer seemed to pay attention to anything around her, and knew not to mention the names of certain people.
Ever since the Cullens left, Bella Swan had been miserable and depressed without them. She no longer sat with her group of friends, and sat where the Cullen siblings used to. She had no contact from anyone - not even Alice. Bella was alone.
She distinctly heard the door open to the class interrupting the lesson, followed by the teacher exclaiming out in joy. She only zoned back in when her name was called.
"Bella, could you raise your hand up, please?"
The teenager raised her hand half-heartedly in the air, turning to the front of the class to see something that made her feel like she was alive again.
A beautiful woman stood at the front of the class - a woman with unnatural beauty. And a certain thing Bella immediately noticed was her eyes; they were topaz gold. Like the Cullens.
Bella sat up straighter in her seat, lowering her hand when the new girl gracefully slid into her seat beside her. She couldn't help but openly gawk at her.
"Hello," she said lightly in a low sultry voice. "My name is Marilyn Whitlock." For a moment Bella thought she sounded a lot like Jasper Hale with her hidden accent.
"Bella Swan," Bella whispered back, holding a hand out. When Marilyn grabbed her hand, it was ice cold. "You're freezing," she noted. Marilyn bared a bright smile to her.
"I get that a lot." Marilyn laughed lightly, reminding Bella of wind chimes. How was she going to approach her about the supernatural? Does she know the Cullens? Does she know where they are?
"Not to be rude or anything," Marilyn suddenly whispered to Bella, tearing her from her thoughts. "But the teacher is talking in front of the class, he has the information to this subject, not I."
"Oh," Bella blushes profusely, realising she was still openly staring at her. "Sorry, I was thinking of something."
"It's alright," Marilyn smiles, "I have a feeling we're going to be seeing each other a lot."